KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Status Unknown for PerfCounter monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sysdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Status Unknown for PerfCounter monitoring Reply with quote

I am having a problem getting Host Monitor 4.45 to monitor all of my Microsoft servers. I am currently monitoring 10 servers and plan to add an additional 80+ to the list. Some serves come back as “unknown”. The only test/events that comeback as unknown are related to PerfCounter. Ping and DNS tests are always successful. I have tried all four options related to PerfCounter checking. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advances!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance Counter test returns "unknown" status from time to time? Or all the time?
What account do you use to start HostMonitor? Performance Counter test requires administrator's priveleges.

Regards
Alex
sysdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. I have seen a working server change to unknown, but primarily after I restart HM. Sometime it will change from an unknown status to good. I am using a domain admin account to test the serves. It is not specific to a domain, because I have good and unknown servers in the same domain.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even "External" test mode did not help??
H'm... What Windows are installed on HostMonitor's and target systems?

Regards
Alex
sysdeath

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The source and destination are both Windows 2000 servers. The source server is a file in print server with utilization no more than 3 to 5 percent at any give time. I would even say the average is less than 1 percent utilized.

Is there a log file that details why its not connecting?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there are no logs
I think you can use perfobj.exe command line utility (it is included into HM 4.45 archive). Start it when test fails using command line perfobj.exe PerformanceCounter [-n retries] [login password [domain]]
E.g. perfobject "\\Server1\TCP\Connections Established" admin pswd25
It will display counter value or error description

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the same problem running on Windows 2000, now running on Windows 2003 Server, and have never experienced the problems.

Regards
Sven
sfm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something similar going on. We are running AHM on a Win2K SP4 server with 2GB RAM and dual 1.8GHz HT Xeon processors. When I test ther perfcounter objects individually or from the command line, I get results quickly. When I let AHM go through the test cycle, I end up with many counters in an unnown stat. We are running about 3600 tests. I have tried changing the tests/sec at several values from 32/sec to 100/sec.

Any suggestions?
sfm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have something similar going on. We are running AHM on a Win2K SP4 server with 2GB RAM and dual 1.8GHz HT Xeon processors. When I test ther perfcounter objects individually or from the command line, I get results quickly. When I let AHM go through the test cycle, I end up with many counters in an unnown stat. We are running about 3600 tests. I have tried changing the tests/sec at several values from 32/sec to 100/sec.

Any suggestions?
sfm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just reduced the test/sec to 20 and everything seems to be working fine. I will post any updates as needed.
sysdeath

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the RMA on all the servers and it resolved most of my problems.
sfm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That also works! We ran into a situation, however, where we were running so many tests on the LAN itself that the reduction in threads had a significant impact. We wanted to avoid installing RMA's on every server (about 200). We are, however, running an RMA at each remote location.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: