KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best way to duplicate tests to other folders?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpriess

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I'm setting up a test to monitor the mcshield service on a server and want to duplicate this test to all other servers. Each server has its own folder for organization purposes. In the past I have just used Copy & paste and then changed the test hostname & name, etc but this takes a long time for 150+ folderstests. If I were to do a mail merge and create an import text file...Is it possible to specify what folders tests are put into? The last time I used the import option it would put all tests in one folder...is this still the case? If so, any other recommendations? Thanks for your help.

Mark
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatelly import function still does not work with folders. However priority of this task is "high", may be it will be implemented on next week.

Regards
Alex
wes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in the ability to replicate to folders as well. Is there a new version of replicator coming or will this be part of HM?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Replicator doesn't know anything about tests or folders. It can replicate any textual information. But its matter what is (are) replication parameter(s). E.g. if you want to change many parametrs at the same time, it could be a problem.

Regards
Alex
mattb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: import function w/ folders implemented? Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Unfortunatelly import function still does not work with folders. However priority of this task is "high", may be it will be implemented on next week.

Regards
Alex

Has the import function been implemented so it will work with folders now?

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Has the import function been implemented so it will work with folders now?

It was done in version 4.02 (+ some options was implemented in version 4.40)

Regards
Alex
sfm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have 1480 tests in 102 folders (and growing daily). I am looking for the quickest way to set up new devices as well as modification of existing tests once they are set up. Allow me to explain.

I have set up templates for the following:

Server, Exchange, Citrix, IIS, SQL, Backups

When I set up a server (I have over 200 servers to set up of which 87 have been done), I replicate (using replicator) the base "Server" template to all of the IP's. I then import them into a fodler called new tests. In my templates I am using the Machine Name in the beginning of the test name, so all tests for each device are grouped together. I then create a subfolder in the appropriate parent folder for the device using the device name and drag & drop the tests for that device to that folder. I then use the replicator again to create the test list that is specific to the function of the server (i.e. Exchange, Citrix, etc...) and perform the same steps again.

So here is my real question - let's say I migrate all of my Exchange servers from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000. I want to create a new set of tests for Exchange 2000. Ideally I would be able to create that template and then tell it which devices to propagate those changes to. Right now I would have to create a new template and rpeat my process, removing all of the 5.5 tests and adding the 2000 tests. This can be ver time consuming.

Another situation would be, for example, where I am running a specific test across many machines and I want to change the alert threshhold. Right now there is no way to accomplish that in the GUI. I guess I could export the entire test list and then do a search and replace and then reimport.

I am looking for suggestions.

Alex - have you ever thought about changing the test paradigm a little bit? It might be nice to have the ability to create a "policy" that is applied to devices. This policy is basically a template for a list of tests. Once you apply that policy to a device, all of the testsare created for it. But more importantly, whenever you edit that policy, the changes would also apply. Just a thought...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When I set up a server (I have over 200 servers to set up of which 87 have been done), I replicate (using replicator) the base "Server" template to all of the IP's. I then import them into a fodler called new tests. In my templates I am using the Machine Name in the beginning of the test name, so all tests for each device are grouped together. I then create a subfolder in the appropriate parent folder for the device using the device name and drag & drop the tests for that device to that folder. I then use the replicator again to create the test list that is specific to the function of the server (i.e. Exchange, Citrix, etc...) and perform the same steps again.

If folder name contains hostname or IP address of the device, you can import new test items into appropriate subfolders automatically - test description may contain DestFolder parameter (e.g. DestFolder = Root\Office\192.168.10.15\)
DestFolder defines the folder to which the test will be added. If this parameter is left blank then the test will be added to the current folder. If this parameter is not used then the test will be added to the folder that is specified by the "DefaultFolder" parameter or to the current folder if the "DefaultFolder" parameter is not used either.

Quote:
Another situation would be, for example, where I am running a specific test across many machines and I want to change the alert threshhold. Right now there is no way to accomplish that in the GUI. I guess I could export the entire test list and then do a search and replace and then reimport.

Yes, GUI does not help much in this case

Quote:
lex - have you ever thought about changing the test paradigm a little bit?

Yes, we thought about this. But paradigm will not be changed in version 4.xx, probably in 5.xx

Regards
Alex
sfm

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually was not too bad. It took me only 2 hours to set up 3600 tests. My concern is when I have to make a change across the board. It looks like the best way for now is to use a text file with the destination folder as Alex describes.

I am anxiously looking forward to 5.x. This is a fantastic product that is only getting better! And your support as always is awesome.

Is there an official "Beta" program for future versions? My comapny would be happy to test and be in on roadmap discussions.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there an official "Beta" program for future versions? My comapny would be happy to test and be in on roadmap discussions.

Not yet. Version 5 is not in development process yet

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: