KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Discover hosts by NT Service
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have problem when just 2 or 3 tests running at the same time. Right?

Quote:
So the account is obviously not locked as the other tests are successful.

Yes, of course account is not locked, there is some other problem. Have you checked security logs on servers?

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would like to know who else is running over 400 service tests without these type issues and if possible post their server configuration. You claim hostmontor can monitor over 800 service tests but I am yet to see a successful post on this matter.

Like I said, we use thousands of service tests (on hundreds of machines) and never run into this kind of problems. We run HostMonitor as a service, using a service account. This service account is created on all servers, giving it the appropiate permissions (so every domain controller, member or stand-alone server wil get an account equal to the service account!)

I'm still confinced it is an authentication problem. I can only say to check the security logs. You would not be the first (including myself) who *thinks* he is using account A and actually is using account B
hamoja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We run HostMonitor as a service, using a service account. This service account is created on all servers, giving it the appropiate permissions

I assume by that statement that you are running an agent on each server, my enviroment is validated with validated applications with no chance of running any service agents. Even then according to the documentation followed, it does not suggest monitoring a remote service requires an agent. However, Hostmonitor is already running as a service on the server where monitoring takes place.

Security logs shows no sign of failures on the remote servers nor on the server where the program is installed. Oddly enough once each unknown test is started manually it functions as normal with no signs of unknowns until hostmonitor server reboots.
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I assume by that statement that you are running an agent on each server
No, we are not using any rma agent. All our tests are performed from one single server. That's the beauty of HostMonitor, you don't need any agent on the target machines.

The server with the HostMonitor service is part of our local domain. And we ar monitoring many different domains, without any trusts. Which means you must use a local account. Using the domain name in the connect as properties of a test (domain\account) does not work from HostMonitor. But even if it did, we would not use a domain account.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please try this update: www.ks-soft.net/download/hm461.zip
It works in the same way but you will see Windows error code in the Reply field of the test item.
What code HM reports?

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Win32 Error#1722 on several tests. Ran them individually to restore correct status
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1772 means "The RPC server is unavailable"
MSDN finds many links related to this error but I didn't find right one yet...
http://search.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?view=msdn&st=b&na=82&qu=%22the+RPC+server+is+unavailable%22&s=1

Regards
Alex
Marcus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1772 means "The RPC server is unavailable"

So it sounds like a fire-wall issue ? When more than one connection at a time, the fire-wall drops the connection? I can imagine this is setup, due to the viruses running the last year who use rpc server bugs.

Is there a fire-wall between HostMonitor and the remote servers?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about that and asked about antiviruses...
Quote:
KS>May be you have some antivirus software that drops connections when system receives many requests at the same time? Any other non standard software?

To Hamoja: do you have installed antivirus software on each server? Or just on gateway? Could you try to disable it on some testing system?

Regards
Alex
hamoja

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AV is on every system by a Corporate policy. Even then that shouldn't cause false negative results but what I noticed is that when I selected the replicator option to discover hosts by DNS names and imported into HM, check service on import had the UNC as \\server.abc.com which is the fully qualified name of the system but is not the actual NetBios name of the server.

Instead I removed the suffix from the server name and apparently it is now working as expected. I guess when each test is ran individually there isn't an obvious issue when you query services using FQN. If any other changes I will let the forum know.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Instead I removed the suffix from the server name and apparently it is now working as expected

H'm, interesting...
Thanks for information

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: