KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Checking for URL for validation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neih59

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Checking for URL for validation Reply with quote

Hello,

Could someone please help. We are hosting application servers that required us to check the authentication between the application servers against the oracle server.

I see that it is posible to check for content (a word or phrase) on a web site, but beyond that, is it posible to automatically enter a username and password at the login screen of the site to see if the authentication is valid or not?

If I sound confusing, let me explain. In order for us to monitor our application that it is up, we need to login at the first HTTPS page. But how can we automatically enter the username and password to see if we get a result? A good or bad result would be great, but we can't get to that point.
When I setup the https URL monitor, it did gave me the option to enter user name and password, but if I do that then the URL would be invalid because the page cannot be display due to wrong URL redirection.

Please help, this is very important. Here's the site if anyone can help, I would be appreciated.

https://trial.valchemy.com/paladin

I need to monitor that what ever login I use, the result would be "Login Failed".

If I can monitor this, then Hosts Monitor is hands down, THE BEST!!!!

Thanks everyone
hnguyen@n2nvision.com
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I sound confusing, let me explain. In order for us to monitor our application that it is up, we need to login at the first HTTPS page. But how can we automatically enter the username and password to see if we get a result?

It depends on script (that located on your server) which processes login/password.
As I see you are using "paladin/login.do" script that requires 2 parameters: username and password. Please check how your script works. Does it support GET or POST method? If it may retrieve parameters using GET method, use URL such as https://trial.valchemy.com/paladin/login.do?username=real_user_name@password=real_password to perform the check.

BTW Certificate was issued for different host name (trial-server.alchemy.com), it means you should enable "Accept SSL/PCT certificates with invalid host name" option to accept this certificate. Option located on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog.

Regards
Alex
neih59

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Will not work with URL monitor Reply with quote

First of all, thank you so much for the quick reply.

When I put in the URL:
https://trial.valchemy.com/paladin/login.do?username=real_user_name@password=real_password
into my IE, it would produce the exact message that I would want to see. However, I cannot use this URL under the URL monitor.

I'm sorry I am very new to this program. What do I need to configure so that the reply "Login Failed" represent a successful monitor; since this message means that the application is communicating fine with the database.

Thank you very much.
Neih59
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I cannot use this URL under the URL monitor.

What exactly does it mean?
You cannot type this URL? Or you can setup this URL but you are receiving wrong result or some error message?

Quote:
I'm sorry I am very new to this program. What do I need to configure so that the reply "Login Failed" represent a successful monitor; since this message means that the application is communicating fine with the database.

Its easy:
1) use URL https://trial.valchemy.com:443/paladin/login.do?username=real_user_name&password=real_password
2) enable "Accept SSL/PCT certificates with invalid host name" and "Ignore unknown certificate authority problems" options to accept invalid certificate
3) select "check contents: should contain" option and type "Login Failed" as search string

Regards
Alex
neih59

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU ROCK!!! HM ROCKS!!!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Thank you so much for the quick support. HM will save us great amount of money by not outsourcing our helpdesk as well as monitoring function. The quick support turn is unbelievable. HM is worth every penny. Thank you.

One last question. When it does come back with a "BAD CONTENT", it doesn't seem to email me, even though I set it up to email.

Thanks again. You made my day.

Regards,
Neih59
neih59

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that back. It does emailed me. So everything is great! I will definitely recommend this product to everyone. Once again, I really appreciate your help.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome

Quote:
One last question. When it does come back with a "BAD CONTENT", it doesn't seem to email me, even though I set it up to email.

What action settings do you use? "Repeat: 1 time"? In this case action will be started when status of the test item changes from "good" to "bad" ("bad"->"good" for "good" actions). If test item already had "bad" status (e.g. "no answer") action should not be started.

Information about action settings available at
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#properties

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: