KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

test Ok in application mode versus test bad in service mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UvL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: test Ok in application mode versus test bad in service mode Reply with quote

Help needed.........,

I have the following odd situation.
I perform a test on the spooler service for our printserver (Windows 2003 server). If I run hostmonitor (version 4.42) in service mode the test returns a bad status, when run in application mode the the test returns a status ok.
The spooler service tested is running so the application test result is correct. All other tests performed on the same printserver give a correct response. Any suggestions ?

TIA,

Joost Weijs
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What account you have specified on Service page in Options dialog (HostMonitor's Options dialog)?
Does it have necessary permissions?
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#other.htm#service

Regards
Alex
UvL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now I use the local system account. Which should have enough rights since I can correctly test the other services on the same host.For instance Task Scheduler and Terminal Service and WMI.
I also tried using a special made account who is a member of the Active Directory built in server operators group. Same deal Application Ok and Service bad.

HTH,

Joost
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I use the local system account

This can only work if you test the local system. Any test outside your system is doomed to fail, the moment you need a logon.
UvL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then why do all other tests to the same host work properly ?
Marcus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. They don't need a connection
2. There is already a connection

The local system account has a special SID, which is not valid outside it's own system. The moment the local system account tries to logon, a failure wil be logged in your security log.
UvL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I Still don't get it.
1. If there is no connection needed then it applies to both taskscheduler service AND spooler service So both tests should give a correct value. Not just one of them
2. If there already is a connection then the connection exists for both tests.
So you understand that I don't understand ?
But never mind. I installed RMA on the "weird" host and everything is functioning. Not the most beautiful solution but nevertheless a working solution. Thanks for your efforts.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm..
1) Normally application under "local system" account cannot check services/processes/files/CPU Usage/... on remote system. I don't know why HostMonitor works in your case but I do not recommend use "local system" account.
2) "Bad" status for Service test method means - HostMonitor are able to interact with Service Control Manager on remote system but specified service is not started or does not respond to SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE command.

Truth to say I cannot explain this behavior. Probably only Microsoft has explanation? Or somebody has good idea?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: