KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Test a test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matth

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject: Test a test Reply with quote

Hi

Is there a possibility to test out a test.

How can I verify for example what HM is doing once it should alert? Can I somehow manually trigger the Alerts and sort of debug them?

I've setup a test to run a batch-file when an error message appears in the event log. This batch-file creates a text file (nbtlog -n >C:\file.txt). Using a second bad status action I want to mail this text-file.

The mail is sent, but the text file is always missing and is not created. How can I find out why it is not created?

Thanks
Matth
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How can I verify for example what HM is doing once it should alert?

You can check system log. Path to the log and logging options defined on "Advanced Logs" page in the Options dialog

Quote:
Can I somehow manually trigger the Alerts and sort of debug them?

You need to change test status. E.g. you can set "Reverse alert" option for testing.

Quote:
I've setup a test to run a batch-file when an error message appears in the event log. This batch-file creates a text file (nbtlog -n >C:\file.txt). Using a second bad status action I want to mail this text-file.
The mail is sent, but the text file is always missing and is not created. How can I find out why it is not created?

This happens because HostMonitor starts 2nd action (send e-mail) right after 1st action was started. But external application (nbtlog) needs some time to create file...
Solutions?
1) You may use "Run HMScript" action instead of "Execute external program" action. Write "ExecuteProgram <timetowait> <command line>" command in the script. "Send e-mail" action should be created AFTER "Run HMScript" action (if you already have this action, remove it and create later).
2) Or you may setup HostMonitor to start "send email" action after next test iteration. E.g. if you start "Execute external program" action after 1st failed probe. Start "send email" action after 2nd failed probe.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: