Test a test

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
Matth

Test a test

Post by Matth »

Hi

Is there a possibility to test out a test.

How can I verify for example what HM is doing once it should alert? Can I somehow manually trigger the Alerts and sort of debug them?

I've setup a test to run a batch-file when an error message appears in the event log. This batch-file creates a text file (nbtlog -n >C:\file.txt). Using a second bad status action I want to mail this text-file.

The mail is sent, but the text file is always missing and is not created. How can I find out why it is not created?

Thanks
Matth
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

How can I verify for example what HM is doing once it should alert?
You can check system log. Path to the log and logging options defined on "Advanced Logs" page in the Options dialog
Can I somehow manually trigger the Alerts and sort of debug them?
You need to change test status. E.g. you can set "Reverse alert" option for testing.
I've setup a test to run a batch-file when an error message appears in the event log. This batch-file creates a text file (nbtlog -n >C:\file.txt). Using a second bad status action I want to mail this text-file.
The mail is sent, but the text file is always missing and is not created. How can I find out why it is not created?
This happens because HostMonitor starts 2nd action (send e-mail) right after 1st action was started. But external application (nbtlog) needs some time to create file...
Solutions?
1) You may use "Run HMScript" action instead of "Execute external program" action. Write "ExecuteProgram <timetowait> <command line>" command in the script. "Send e-mail" action should be created AFTER "Run HMScript" action (if you already have this action, remove it and create later).
2) Or you may setup HostMonitor to start "send email" action after next test iteration. E.g. if you start "Execute external program" action after 1st failed probe. Start "send email" action after 2nd failed probe.

Regards
Alex