KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Access violation at address 004E2817 in module hostmon.exe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrweiss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:38 am    Post subject: Access violation at address 004E2817 in module hostmon.exe Reply with quote

Hi,

getting the following error after some tests have been executed:

"Access violation at address 004E2817 in module 'hostmon.exe'. Read of address 00000008."

HM: 4.40
Test: Traffic Monitor

Only after restarting the HostMonitor service the error disappears. I monitor incoming and outgoing traffic with seperate tests:

Two links (serial interfaces) on a Cisco Router 805

Thanks and Regards, J.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm, this error produced by mgmtapi.dll. Windows 2000 had this error but Microsoft fixed problem in SP2.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;271355

Looks like Windows Server 2003 has the same problem. But Microsoft do not have SP for Server 2003
I copied mgmtapi.dll from Windows XP system into Windows Server 2003 system. I cannot guarantee everything will be fine, but system and HostMonitor works. May be better take this DLL from Windows 2000 SP 4...

Regards
Alex
jrweiss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

I replaced the DLL with the one from XP SP2 and it seems to be stable. All tests are carried out without any crashes for about 4 hours now (executed every minute).

Thanks and Regards, J.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am testing DLL from Windows XP (no SP), works good as well. HostMonitor performed 45,350 tests so far

Regards
Alex
mmonaghan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrweiss,

You might want to contact Microsoft PSS about this. Since it is a known issue without a resolution (in Microsoft's eyes) this _should_ be a no charge fix. You might also search their knowledgebase (http://support.microsoft.com) for the DLL file name under Windows 2003 Server. You just might find a patch. Someone on the 2003 team definately messed up on this one.

Mike
rdol

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Similar Access violation at address 004E299B in module... Reply with quote

While executing SNMP tests HostMonitor uses 100 % of the 2 CPU server. E-mail warning contains Reply : Access violation at address 004E299B in module 'HOSTMON.EXE'. Read of address 00000008

I want to replace original W2K3 mgmtapi.dll by WXPSP1. Somebody in this forum wrote that he replaced this DLL by WXPSP2 - probably pre-release version of this long-awaited service pack.

Are you sure that you really replaced this file? I remember W2K3 feature called DLLCACHE which checks and replaces non-authorized system files. I cannot find any hint how to replace only one DLL without disabling the whole Windows File Protection.

If you used WXP SP2, could you PLS find this dll's version info?

Original W2K3: 5.2.3790.0
WXP SP2: ?
WXP SP1+hotfixes: 5.1.2600.0
W2K SP4: 5.0.2195.6601
W2K SP3+hotfixes: 5.0.2195.5349

Radek
jrweiss

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Replace DLL Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry I am on the road, can't check the required infos. But I run HM since my intial reply to Alex with a couple of hundred thousand tests since then and never had the problem again.
Just copy the DLL into the original folder AND the cached DLL folder. That bypasses the file protection system.

Good luck and let me know if you need more help.

Regards, J.
WAPA-Ron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Hotfix for Windows 2003 mgmtapi.dll Reply with quote

See article 834115 at support.microsoft.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: