KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA connection issues --New User on Eval--
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quantum

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: RMA connection issues --New User on Eval-- Reply with quote

I am running an eval on the latest download 4.42 of hostmon. The version of the Win-RMA is 1.18.

I have installed and configured the RMA client and started the client program.

On my Hostmon 'server' I then go to add a new test and select 'agent' from the list and start to configure my remote RMA client as a monitored host.

When I click the test button I get a message saying 'connection error'. On the RMA client I see 'Connection from 192.168.X.X accepted' .

I am sure i did not get the password wrong, so what else could be the issue ?

Thanks for any help.

-Q
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please check "bad" log on RMA's system (by default this log named "log2.txt")? Any messages? E.g. "Invalid request packet received"?

Regards
Alex
Quantum

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was the first place i looked. It's empty.

-Q
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm... may be logging is disabled?
Do you have any firewalls between HostMonitor and RMA?
What are timeout settings?

Regards
Alex
Quantum

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the logging is not disabled. I know this because if I remove the IP of the machine running the Hostmon from the RMA config I get an 'Connection rejected' message on the screen and in the log file.

The two machines are on the same LAN, same subnet no firewalls

All other settings are default.

Both Hostmon and the RMA are running on windows XP Pro SP1.

-Q
Quantum

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:59 am    Post subject: More testing Reply with quote

OK, I have done some more testing on this and here is what I have come up with.

I using the same Hostmon machine, but I have installed the RMA on another machine so that the install was clean.

I have selected 'allow connections from all addresses' and entered a password.

On the hostmon machine I add the RMA machine using the same password.

The RMA client shows ' Connection from 10.1.1.3 .. Accepted' in the latest connection box.

If I now enter an incorect password I get exactly the same.

I have enabled both good and bad logging and nither file has been created, I guess because there have been no events.

Now if I change to 'only the following addresses my connect' in the RMA configuration, I recive a 'connection from 10.1.1.3 .. rejected' if I do not add my hostmon machine to the list. I also get an entry in my log2.log.

To sum up.

The connection from the Hostmon machine to the RMA seems ok, however it seems that there are issues with the password and that these errors are not logged to the log2.log.

Is there any way to configure this with a blank password so that I can test this theory ?

Thanks

-Q
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The RMA client shows ' Connection from 10.1.1.3 .. Accepted' in the latest connection box.
If I now enter an incorect password I get exactly the same.
I have enabled both good and bad logging and nither file has been created, I guess because there have been no events.

I checked the code... This behavior ("Accepted" message on screen, no messages in the logs) possible only in one case - RMA receives TCP connection but does not receive complette request packet from HostMonitor (or RMA does not receive request packet at all).
Why? I don't have any idea Any antivirus software running on the systems?

Quote:
The connection from the Hostmon machine to the RMA seems ok, however it seems that there are issues with the password and that these errors are not logged to the log2.log.

No, its not a problem with a password. In that case you will see "Invalid request packet received" in "bad" log.

Regards
Alex
Quantum

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No, its not a problem with a password. In that case you will see "Invalid request packet received" in "bad" log.

So why is it that when I type in the wrong password I get the same messages?

Is there any way I can trouble shoot the connection ?

-Q
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand you do not have any message in the log.
You see "Connection from ... accepted" message on screen because RMA accepted incoming TCP connection. No password transferred yet, so not message in the log.

What if you install RMA & HostMonitor on the same system? Just for testing...

Regards
Alex
Quantum

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have installed the RMA client on the same machine as the Hostmon.

I get exactly the same results.

-Q
Quantum

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right,

I have moved my eval onto a windows 2000 server machine now and after changing all the ports I can get the system working.

It seems that 1054 1055 etc etc are all in use on my server by something so I have used 26, 27 & 28 for RMA and RCI.

-Q
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just was thinking about using different port number...
I am glad problem solved

Regards
Alex
Quantum

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sort of, though changing the port number did not fix it if hostmon was installed on the XP machine.

Interesting one

While I have you attention I have two questions.

1. If I buy your product I would most likely be looking at an enterprise license with the ongoing versions option. However I want to know if there is any official support included or if it is on an informal basis through these forums.

2. Do you know any good recources for learning about SNMP as I have never realy used it.

Thanks

-Q
Stoltze

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
While I have you attention I have two questions.

1. If I buy your product I would most likely be looking at an enterprise license with the ongoing versions option. However I want to know if there is any official support included or if it is on an informal basis through these forums.

Hi,

Don't know if KS-Soft has some kind of "Official Support".. But keep in mind, that your company will continue to run, even if your AHM should go down for some reason.. This is not your primary file server for 2000 people..

And, btw, the job that Alex is doing in this forum, is some of the best support I have ever tried. And I have tried a lot a different support organisations until now.. What good does it, that you can call a hotline, when the person don't know anything about subnets?

In this forum, you ask a question. Problably within 12 hours, you get a good and qualified answer, if you have descripted your problem well. And it doesn't matter, wether you have asked about DLL's, SNMP, HTTP, Unix, file systems or changing the password on remote systems. Alex knows about this.

So my point is simple.. Don't worry about the support.. It's great!!
Quantum

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoltze, Thanks for the answer.

I was talking more about the type of support for something that is not working correctly, eating memory etc,etc. From what I have seen on these forums new version to fix people's problems is not a rare thing.

I am simply trying to get a feeling for what level of support I sould expect and I should be selling to my Management team. If we are on our own as users I cannot tell them the support is great, it would be foolish for me to do this. However if I can explain that support is on best endevors basis then the managers and I an make that choice.

I would value some official responce to this.

Thanks

-Q
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: