KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tivoli ODBC V5.x queries fail ... same as a previous issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fbuktech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:13 am    Post subject: Tivoli ODBC V5.x queries fail ... same as a previous issue Reply with quote

In 2002 you offered a fix for this problem (search on Tivoli), but Hostmon, Tivoli and ourselves have matured since then!!

I can test "poll" the tivoli database, but a query that works fine from MSQ fails with either, "unknown data type", or "invalid cursor state" when attempting to alert from the result of the query.
The Tivoli Database version is 5.1.6.3 and the ODBC versions 5.1.5 and 5.2.2 both give the same response. Hostmon version is 4.42, but the previous version also failed.

I wish to alert on a number of tests which determine the (Session, Scratch Tape, Process) counters and (DB, Log, Library, Stgpool, DB Backup) status', plus various other tests to determine the integrity of the Tivoli environment. I will be glad to share these when they work!!

Many thanks for your expected response

Tony Morgan (email:tony.morgan@fortisbank.com)
Fortis Bank Uk
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can test "poll" the tivoli database, but a query that works fine from MSQ fails with either, "unknown data type", or "invalid cursor state" when attempting to alert from the result of the query.

Probably result of the request contains field with type that is not supported by HostMonitor.
HostMonitor supports following data types:
SQL_NUMERIC,
SQL_DECIMAL,
SQL_CHAR
SQL_VARCHAR,
SQL_WCHAR
SQL_WVARCHAR
SQL_INTEGER
SQL_BIGINT
SQL_SMALLINT
SQL_TINYINT
SQL_REAL
SQL_DOUBLE
SQL_FLOAT
SQL_BIT
SQL_DATETIME
SQL_TYPE_DATE
SQL_TYPE_TIMESTAMP
What data type returned by your request?

Quote:
I wish to alert on a number of tests which determine the (Session, Scratch Tape, Process) counters and (DB, Log, Library, Stgpool, DB Backup) status', plus various other tests to determine the integrity of the Tivoli environment.

Is it possible to send SNMP Trap messages from Tivoli?
If yes, HostMonitor 4.50 (not avilable yet) will be able to receive this messages and react in real time.

Regards
Alex
fbuktech

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:13 am    Post subject: More Information.... Reply with quote

*I have received this response from Tivoli support...

One problem I see in the ODBC driver manager trace is that the monitor is making a call to SQLFetchScroll(), which is a function that the TSM ODBC driver does not support. The subsequent call, SQLGetData(), seems to fail because SQLFetchScroll() failed. It is the SQLGetData() call that is returning the invalid cursor state.

KS-Soft could consider using SQLFetch() instead of SQLFetchScroll(),
especially since they are just trying to fetch the next record. At the
same time, I can look into adding some SQLFetchScroll() functionality (at
least for simple fetch of next record) to the ODBC driver, but I can not
make any formal commitment as to when that would be available.

*The latest V5.2 version of Tivoli does support SNMP but I can only upgrade to this version when I have upgraded the OS to W2K (Still on NT!)
I have no more information at present, but still think that Hostmon doing a SQL query is a great piece of functionality that I intend to use all over the place!!

Many thanks for your quick response!!

Tony Morgan
FBUK
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One problem I see in the ODBC driver manager trace is that the monitor is making a call to SQLFetchScroll(), which is a function that the TSM ODBC driver does not support.

Its easy to fix. Just enable "Do not use SQLFetchAbsolute command" option (option located on Miscellaneous page in the Options dialog).

Regards
Alex
fbuktech

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Continuation... Reply with quote

The suggested setting was already set. I have tried it on and off... same response...

.. any other suggestions please?? (Sorry to be a pest)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the code and see that HostMonitor uses different flags (some drivers does not support SQL_FETCH_ABSOLUTE param) but it always uses SQLFetchScroll command (Standards Compliance: ISO 92).
Of course we can change it to SQLFetch command but... current code was tested and used by many customers for long time. Who knows may be new code will not work so well.
Probably some new option....
Does anybody else uses Tivoli?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: