KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Bandwidth Monitoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Bandwidth Monitoring Reply with quote

I downloaded HostMonitor 4.42...

I would like to monitor the bandwidth of our FTP server.

I've connected using \\localhost\Performance Monitor\IntelProNic... , However we view a continuous reading of 95MB. However it never fluctuates even when we download large files.

I now sure how to conduct a live test with meaninful results.... similar to the live stats from Bandwidth Monitor Pro (www.bandwidthmonitorpro.com)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've connected using \\localhost\Performance Monitor\IntelProNic... ,

H'm, what test method do you use? Performance Counter?
In this case path to object should look different, e.g. "\\FTP_Server_Name\Network Interface(Interface_Name)\Bytes Total/sec"

Regards
Alex
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Performance monitor, no connection??? Reply with quote

I've successully configured the perfomance monitor on a <local computer> (127.0.0.1), however on a remote server the selections are grayed-out in perfomance monitor settings. Other tests not related to performance monitor do work though....
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm.. and "Select counter from computer" option is grayed-out?
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:43 pm    Post subject: Yes... 'Select counter from computer' grayed out... Reply with quote

I've checked this on three servers on different networks and their all the same. I also checked the RMA manager and all tests are (checked) supported for all RMA. The only machine I can configure correctly is the Windows 2000 server with Host Monitor installed.

Q. Is this an WMI permissions problem?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truth to say I don't know why dialog does not allow to select computer, this dialog displayed by Windows (HostMonitor just initiates Windows API).
But if you are using RMA (that is installed on target system) to perform this test, its not necessary to provide/select computer. You may just specify performance counter without system name, e.g. "\Network Interface(Interface_Name)\Bytes Total/sec"

Regards
Alex
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: MS TCP Loopback interface??? Reply with quote

OK, it's now woking if I select the 'MS TCP Loopback interface' as the network interface instead of the actual 'Intel[R] Pro 100VE adapter, like so:

\\MAIL\Network Interface(MS TCP Loopback interface)\Bytes Total/sec

Q. Does this give me the same bandwidth information as the actual Intel adapter?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this give me the same bandwidth information as the actual Intel adapter?

Of couse not. You should specify interface that is used for outside traffic.
BTW Why you don't use new "Network Traffic" test method? It uses SNMP protocol and doesn't need remote registry service, doesn't use buggy pdh.dll, doesn't require connection with administrative privileges, etc.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: