KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Passwords?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Passwords? Reply with quote

I don't like to be a pain but I'm having difficulties connecting the HostMonitor to my RMA's.

I noticed a 'Service' account setting in the options tab.

Q. Does this 'Service' (user) and password have to match the RMA's?

Q. What user and rights should the 'Service' account be?

I can successfully connect to the remote RMA's through RMA Manager.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you click "Help" button in the Options dialog, you will see some useful information about settings.
Quote:
Log on as
Specify user account (login and password) to impersonate the security context of the user.
When HostMonitor starts as a service, it uses the system account (as all interactive services). But this account may not have all the necessary permissions, so some tests will not work correctly (UNC test, "disk free space" test for shared drives, "CPU Usage" test for remote machines, etc). If you need these tests, you will need to assign a special user account. In this case HostMonitor will impersonate the security context of the user.
Note: Do not change the account using the system utility "Services". If you do so, HostMonitor will not be able to interact with the desktop.

It means that this account relates to permissions that HostMonitor has.

Quote:
Q. What user and rights should the 'Service' account be?

Depends on tests that you want to use. If you want to check Services, provide Power User account. If you want to use CPU Usage, Process, Performance Counter tests, provide administrator's account.

Quote:
I can successfully connect to the remote RMA's through RMA Manager.

What if you start HostMonitor in application mode?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS We still don't know what version of the software do you use.
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Passwords & RMA Reply with quote

Interestingly enough I have setup Host Monitor (application mode) on a new host Win-XP workstation and still have the same unreliable test results from the same remote RMA. I get the same 'unknown host' error.

I'm thinking this was also my first remote RMA config and I've changed the settings so many times without restarting the RMA remote host....

You see I also have two other Windows RMA's on seperate networks and they work woderfully. They have also been installed and configured one single time.

So I will uninstall, restart then start over again on the other single and questionable remote Windows RMA host.

I'll let you know if that cures the problem. Any other suggestions are welcome.

By the way, thank you for your quick and professional support reply....
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not answer my questions again. Could you please tell me what version of the software do you use?

Quote:
Interestingly enough I have setup Host Monitor (application mode) on a new host Win-XP workstation and still have the same unreliable test results from the same remote RMA. I get the same 'unknown host' error.

Unreliable? It means sometimes test works, sometimes doesn't? In this case you should not worry about password, account, etc. There is some another reason.
What test method works unreliable? What exactly error message in "Reply field do you see? "Unknown host"? Or "301-Unknown host"?

Regards
Alex
kvnsdr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Passwords? Reply with quote

Version 4.42

Network 3: First PC Win2K Server, RMA installed and test run fine. I've configured CPU Usage (10.0.1.2) and PING (\\10.0.1.2)

Network 3: Second PC, Win2K Pro, Here is the real problem. I've configured the CPU Usage (10.0.1.3) and PING (\\10.0.1.3)

ERROR: 301 - Cannot connect to remote Registry.

Q. Should I simply configure identical User accounts on both PC's with adminstrators rights (administrators group).

NOTE: Both PC's use the default administrator name for the built-in administrator account.

NOTE: Unreliable differs upon my setup. If I configure 2 tests on the same PC, I must use 10.0.1.2 for the first test and \\10.0.1.2 for the second test. If I use the UNC first, then the second test will fail.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Network 3: First PC Win2K Server, RMA installed and test run fine. I've configured CPU Usage (10.0.1.2) and PING (\\10.0.1.2)
Network 3: Second PC, Win2K Pro, Here is the real problem. I've configured the CPU Usage (10.0.1.3) and PING (\\10.0.1.3)
ERROR: 301 - Cannot connect to remote Registry.

1) Why did you install RMA on both systems? You may use single RMA to check both systems (both systems in the same LAN, right?).

2) Do not use UNC path (\\10.0.1.3) for Ping tests!!. Use IP address (10.0.1.3) or hostname (e.g. myprimaryserver or www.gogle.com)

3) Regarding error "ERROR: 301 - Cannot connect to remote Registry". I assume this error displayed by CPU Usage test. Right?
CPU Usage test requires:
- Remote Registry Service should be started on remote system
- application (RMA in your case) should be started under administrator's account

If you already installed RMA on both systems, you may configure CPU Usage test to check <local computer>. In this case each RMA will monitor its own (local) system, it requires less permissions.

Quote:
Q. Should I simply configure identical User accounts on both PC's with adminstrators rights (administrators group).

Why not. Also If you start RMA as service, change user account from "local system" account to account with adminstrators rights (using standard Windows Service applet).

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: