KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ideas on how to acknowledge alerts for escalations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:36 pm    Post subject: Ideas on how to acknowledge alerts for escalations? Reply with quote

Hello,

First, let me say I am very glad to see HM keeps improving. Keep up the great work!

I have a request for the forum on ideas to implement acknowledgements.

Let's say I have a test that will send a page to a person on call when the test result is bad. The action profile is setup so that if the test fails 3 more times, then a 2nd person gets paged.

I would like to implement a way for the first person to "acknowledge" the alert so that the 2nd person doesn't get paged even if the test continues to fail.

I know that with the web based interface, the first person that gets alerted can go to the web interface and disable the test so that the 2nd person doesn't get paged. But I don't want to disable the test. I just want to acknowledge the alert condition so that the 2nd person doesn't get paged.

Thanks in advance for any ideas on how to implement this.

Regards,
NS
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I simplify this task, it will sound like "option that allows manually suspend alert actions triggered by specified test until test restore good status".
Right?

Regards
Alex
ns

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: I believe that would achieve the desired result. Reply with quote

And it would be most useful if this functionality to suspend the alert actions for the test was available through the web based interface.

Thanks,
Naresh
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have added this task (with medium priority) into our "to do" list

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would even be nice if I can suspend it from outside HM, I have a program from which I can run commands from the SMS I send in.

For example I then could send an SMS: ACK Test15.

Regards
Sven
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It would even be nice if I can suspend it from outside HM, I have a program from which I can run commands from the SMS I send in.

H'm, looks like we need option for Telnet Service - execute script specified in command line.

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessary, I can run the SMS application on the same server as HM.

Regards
Sven
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course. But HostMonitor doesn't know anything about SMS application and SMS application doesn't know anything about HostMonitor. If we add some command line parameter to HostMonitor and you will setup SMS application to start HostMonitor with these parameters, it will not help because system will start new instance of HostMonitor. So, this new instance will need to find and connect to primary instance and pass data. More logical use Telnet Service for this purpose, it already know how to communicate with HostMonitor and you will be able to run SMS application on any other system.

Regards
Alex
Jax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just would like reinforce the idea of the alarm escalation if not acknowledged.
The person on-call or at work may for a reason or another not get the alert and it needs to be escalated, without escalating all the alerts.

Also it would be nice on the status page to see if the alarm has been acknowledged or not so it gives a little peace of mind to the boss to know that something is wrong but it is being addressed. Name of the ackowledger and time acknowledged would be the iceing on top of the cake. Very hand too to prove to management how efficient we are, arent we ?

I had a think about it and we could implement it in HM as it is with some scripts and text files updated by the script and web pages to acknowledge the alert or not and make the script to escalate or not. However we dont have control about updating the status page.
y.beyet

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
If I simplify this task, it will sound like "option that allows manually suspend alert actions triggered by specified test until test restore good status".
Right?

Regards
Alex

this idea sounds good, but maybe the test should be suspended until restore good status or counter moving ?

if the counter is going up (or down, or just moving ?), it can be a new error... no ?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
this idea sounds good, but maybe the test should be suspended until restore good status or counter moving ?

If test will be suspended, how it can restore good status?

Quote:
f the counter is going up (or down, or just moving ?), it can be a new error... no ?

HostMonitor will not suspend alerts automatically. As I understand we are talking about "option that allows MANUALLY suspend alerts". So, if you do not want to suspend alerts, don't use option.
I missed something?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: