KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Alert time restriction

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Alert time restriction Reply with quote

Alex,

I set a time restriction on an alert. (in my case: SMS message)
When the test goes bad within that time restriction, the SMS is NOT send. (that's ok of course) I will receive the SMS at the end of the time restriction.

Now, alerts are only fired when the test goes bad out of the time restriction.
Can this be solved in next releases ?

(I don't like recieve SMS messages at night, but in the morning I will know what happens at night)

Regards,
Gert
gdvl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I know. It isn't that simple.
Because, during a normal office-day, I don't want the SMS messages too, because the helpdesk hears the sound-alert. And after the office hours, I don't want receive SMS message of problems during the day ... (which are solved I hope)

So, in the alert time-restriction it should be possible to select 3 values: "alert", "no alert" or "delay alert" (or something like that).
In that case, "test schedules" will be different from "alert schedules".
How many results should be delayed ? I don't know. Only the first ?
It's more complex than I thought.

Someone any suggestions ?

Regards,
Gert
Marcus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alerts can have a different schedule than the test itself. So the thing you need is a delayed alert.

And a delayed alert is needed only once, unless it should not be delayed anymore. Otherwise a delay makes no sence. So only the first alert should be kept until the delay period is passed.

Another question is what to do when a test fails, generates a delayed alert and at the next test cycle the test reports OK. Remove or Keep the delayed alert?
gdvl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcus,

I think, remove the delayed alert when the test returns to good before the end of the alert time-restriction.
Thus, in fact, only the status at the moment the alert time-restriction ends, is important.

So, it should be a setting of the alert itself (not of the schedule) to fire alert only if the test is bad at the end of a time restriction, and not at the moment the test changes from good to bad.

Maybe that's the best definition of what I need.
In that case, there's no problem with restricted alerts during the office hours which are solved before a time restriction ends.

Is this clear ?

Regards,
Gert
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clear. But then you will miss any alert during the delayed time. This could be OK, but it could prevent you from seeing problems which start during the delayed time. Most of the time you will not be interested in the alert after a 'good' test. But most of the time is not always. There will be conditions, you want to know it did happen.

Most ideal would be a way to see there were alerts, but not being alert Only I can't think of a way how to implement this in HostMonitor, besides spitting through the log files......
gdvl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most ideal would be a way to see there were alerts, but not being alert Only I can't think of a way how to implement this in HostMonitor, besides spitting through the log files......

Hmm, In my situation: I e-mail every alert (when it happens, no time restriction). So I can use that mailbox to have an overview of what happens when. But, I send only a SMS out of a time restriction. (and I want to know the current status at the end of that time restriction, if it's bad.)

Regards,
Gert
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to know the current status at the end of that time restriction

This is already possible, you should create two tests:

1. Test outside the time restriction, e-mail and pager alert
2. Test inside the time restriction, e-mail alert only

So don't think time restriction, think test schedule.

1. Test with e-mail and pager alert, with test schedule A
2. Test with e-mail alert only, with test schedule B

When the A and B schedules together have 24 hours, you have the desired behaviour. When schedule B stops and Schedule A starts, the test will start as soon as possible because when a test comes out it's "Out of Schedule" time, a test is started.
gdvl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, but I will not make 2 tests for each test ...

Regards,
Gert
Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ok, but I will not make 2 tests for each test ...

In that case you have to wait for Alex, if he can find another solution for this problem......

btw: It isn't the work that should hold you back. Using the 'copy' and 'edit' features of HM it can be done relatively fast (and it is a one time only change).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: