KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

"compare files" test timeout

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corebusiness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a compare files test that tests for certain strings in some db export logfiles, sometimes, when the network is slow, i get errors from hostmon saying that the file is not there (i know it is, im looking at it)...

So question is, where can i set some kind of timeout, manual says its 900ms, but sometimes when the network is really slow, i need like 5000ms or maybe more. I checked in the ini file, but i cant seem to find it. Please help.

/ Rasmus Jensen / CoreBusiness
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid Windows API do not provide configurable timeout in this case. I think you can use "Repeat test" action to avoid false alerts (http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#actRepeat).

Regards
Alex
corebusiness

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey.

Im not sure its a windows timeout, well im pretty sure its not, lemme explain..

Lets say the logfile i need to check for errors is \server1databackuplogslogfile.log

I can reach the file with no problems if i do a "run" from startmenu, then ie. notepad \server1databackuplogslogfile.log

It takes some time, 4-5 secs, but i get the file opened without errors.

If i use that path in hostmonitor, it gives me a file does not exist error after 1 sec....

So it must be in hostmonitor that the "timeout" occurs.

/ Rasmus / CoreBusiness
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand you very well. But its not HostMonitor's timeout, I guarantee. HostMonitor just ask Windows API to retrieve information about specified file (open file in our case), and Windows function returns information about file or returns error code.
All Windows API functions those works with files does not have timeout as parameter. I checked MSDN documentation to try to find some Windows function that can setup timeout but did not find anything. Probably this information undocumented or may be I searched in wrong place.
Also, its possible Windows utilities (notepad, explorer) make several retries when try to open file or start the program. So, you can do the same in HostMonitor using "Repeat test" action.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: