KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sybase Servers test fail

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robweb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm trying to evaluate Hostmonitor to see if it is useful to monitor the availability of Sybase ASE 12.0 and 12.5, but HM is not able to find them (keeps mentioning 'no answer'. The Sybase client software has been setup on the machine and ping (from dsedit) as well as the client tool 'isql' work perfectly to find all Sybase Servers on the network from this machine. What is HM looking for to determine the hostname/portnumber the specified Sybase Server is running (I would assume it looks for the Sybase env.variable to know where to find the sql.ini file and connects).
Anyone has this working?

thanks,
Rob

(PS. I assume the same problem arises for MS SQL Server (see a few messages back with the question about MS SQLserver) as the basics are pretty much the same as for Sybase)
robweb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll always see... I turned on the checkbox 'Reverse Alert' and now it works fine.

-Rob
robweb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but on second thought, this might not be it at all... What does 'Revert alert' mean here? yes=no and no=yes?
I shutdown the specific Sybase Server and HM still mentions 'OK' now... ?!

-Rob
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are information about "Reverse alert" option http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm#RevAlert

At first, lets check does HostMonitor use sybase client library. When you setup Sybase test, do you see yellow box in the bottom of Test Properties dialog? This box can contain message like "Warning: cannot load LibSysDB.DLL". If you see this message, it means HostMonitor unable to load DLL from Sybase client library.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: You can try to use new ODBC test that works with any ODBC data source

Regards
Alex
robweb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: robweb on 2002-06-10 03:24 ]
robweb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: robweb on 2002-06-10 03:25 ]
robweb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(--removed messages because they were confusing an not interesting anymore)

[ This Message was edited by: robweb on 2002-06-10 03:26 ]
robweb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

Last update . I have tested with installing open Client library, version 11 and now it works.
It's not such a big deal, but this version is actually obsolete. The latest versions are 12.0 and 12.5 (and have that different directory structure as I mentioned before, though that shouldn't really matter because you pick the libsybdb.dll from the Path setting (and %SYBASE%OCS-12_0dll is in the path). But there seems to be an incompatibility with HM and the latest Sybase versions somehow. If I knew how HM does the check to the Sybase Servers I probably can help to make it compatible with the lastest versions as well.

rgds,
Rob
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think new directory structure is not a problem. You did not see yellow box with error message, it means HostMonitor loads library. I will search information about changes in new library. HostMonitor uses just several functions:
dbinit;
dblogin;
dbsetlname;
dbopen;
dbuse;
dbclose

Regards
Alex
robweb

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

libsybdb.dll is the one that causes the difference. When I replace that dll from the 12.0 or 12.5 version with the one from Open Client 11, then HM connects fine again to the running servers.

-Robert
robweb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,

My best guess is that your dbopen() call fails? See the online documentation on the Sybase website: http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-cn/cnr1200e/ocs12nt
section 8.3: 'Applications written for DB-Library versions 4.x, 10.0.x, and 11.x must be recompiled to use DB-Library version 12.0.'
(The probable cause of this is too the new directory structure starting from version 12.0. dbopen() probably tries to read files that were previously in the Sybase root directory (like objectid.dat) and were only dependent on the %SYBASE% env.variable. Now there files reside in the OCS-12_0 (or OCS-12_5) direcory, which are indicated by the new %SYBASE_OCS% env. variable.

I hope this helps in your investigation. Otherwise let me know (either here or by email) and I will surely try to help in finding the cause and getting this to work.

rgds,
Rob
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link, I checked documentation. Yes, Sybase recommended recompile program without any changes in the code, just recompile. So, I assume in version 12 was changed some data structures. But HostMonitor does not use any structures, because it does not perform any SQL request. It means HostMonitor must work with client version 10.x, 11.x, 12.x. BTW I know customer who has installed Sybase client version 12.0 and HostMonitor works.
Tomorrow I will create small program for testing, it will display diagnostic messages, and we will know why HostMonitor does not work with DB-Library 12.x on your system.
BTW: I found follows in Sybase Open Client documentation: "DB-Library version 12.0 is non-reentrant and does not use native threads". Its not good, I don't remember this information in old documentation for version 11.0. Probably I should redesign code to use CT-Library, it supports multithreads.

Regards
Alex
robweb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dblibrary has never supported native threads. I think this passage mentions this line because ct-lib 12.0 now support native threads (on unix systems pre-12 ct-lib supported DCE threads, 12.0 supports native threads (and FYI, 12.5 supports posix threads (on unix, NT doesn't have those))).
There will be no development on dblib anymore. I think you're right when you say that you'd better rewrite the code into ct-library.

rgds,
Rob
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I will redesign code. But later, after release. Now I don't want to make big changes in code, just corrections.
I made some workaround, and upload patch http://www.ks-soft.net/download/hm316.zip It must work correctly even if you have many "Sybase" tests.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: