KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

URL Requests suddenly down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashley Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: URL Requests suddenly down Reply with quote

Hi There,

At exactly 5:30am (give or take 2 mins for each test) on Friday 10/07/2022 last week, 6 individual and completely separate client websites we monitor suddenly began appearing as 'down' in our hostmon alerting.

however the sites themselves are fine and working as expected, and we can even browse/communicate with them from our hostmon server itself just fine, it seems to simply be false alerts for these 6 (all others are appearing up as normal).

The only similarities we can see with these sites is that the A records for each all stem from 'Google LLC', every other site we monitor is up as normal, and from a quick run through the 'up' ones do not link to Google LLC (we monitor/manage too many to have checked through all just yet). Is this a known/ongoing issue at all with certain URL checks going through Google?

Many thanks in advance.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly test status was set?
Bad? Unknown? No answer? Unknown host? Bad contents?

If you are not sure what is the source of the problem, you may setup additional tests, Ping, Trace, DNS.

Regards
Alex
Ashley Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the fast response, these tests are all returning 'No answer' as of Friday, apologies for not including that in the initial. most of theses tests were created 5-10 years ago so in no way new/recently configured, unsure what could be causing the drop for these few.

We already have DNS tests within Hostmon for them all too that are all 'up' so all good on that front it's just the URL check itself, we're still looking into similarities of each site on our end.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No answer" usually means TCP connection was not established.
Also this status set when TCP connection established but SSL/TLS session failed

Regards
Alex
Ashley Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the below, I understand the error message within hostmon and what it usually means, but our issue is the fact that the websites all test fine from other means, and it is specifically hostmon alerting that is suddenly giving the 'no answer', as I say the tests are split across 6 different clients and all 6 started failing at 5:30am Friday after working consistently for 5+ years.

for example, on our server that hosts our hostmon server client, we can open a browser and head to https://site-name.co.uk:443 and it will load the page fine, but the URL check within hostmon set the same ('HTTPS' and url 'site-name.co.uk' port '443') will now recieve 'No answer' for these sites only, all 50+ of our other URL checks continue to work fine and are 'host is alive' as expected.

We've tried changing the DNS of the server, restarting the services and the server itself, but obviously the server can communicate with the sites just fine, can you think of anything else we can try within hostmon to try to resolve?

many thanks,

Ashley
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean tests stay in "no answer" status since Friday? I assumed it was just 1 error and then tests restored "Host is alive status".

May be SSL certificate expired today?
or Windows installed updates and removed some obsolete ciphers.

Could you provide URL (I assume https://site-name.co.uk:443 is not real URL)?
HostMonitor version?
Windows version?
IE version?

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see your support term expired 3 years ago.
So you are using some old version of HostMonitor and may be old Windows?
Probably web servers dropped support for some old ciphers and protocols, like TLS 1.0, 1.1 and you may need to update Windows and/or HostMonitor.

Regards
Alex
Ashley Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for not being clearer, to confirm there are 6 URLs completely separate from one another that are staying in 'no answer' as of exactly 5:30am Friday. Certificates for all are fine and they all renew at different points of the year.

Is it possible to private message you the URLs at all? I used the site-name as an example as I appreciate this is a public forum and these are all client websites.

Hostmon Version - 11.36
Windows version - Windows Server 2019 build 1809 - last windows update installed on 15/09/2022
IE Version - build 1809
Ashley Gardner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your web server theory sounds like it might be the ticket, and looking on your site it seems we are fairly behind on HostMonitor updates. I was not aware of the support contract as this was before my time, but do you know the rough cost of reinstating the support/getting HostMonitor upgraded at all would be?

Many thanks again,

Ashley
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, you may contact us by e-mail (e.g. using HostMonitor or RCC menu Help->Support or just send mail to support at ks-soft.net). Actually 99% of our customers use mail, not forum.

You may calculate price for update at https://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/regmon.htm
I think its $1074 in your case (actually price should be higher because your support term over 3 years ago but may be we provide discount. Please contact sales at ks-soft.net)

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: