KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Moving HM 9.5 (WinS 2012) to HM 12.6 (WinS 2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Axel9.5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Moving HM 9.5 (WinS 2012) to HM 12.6 (WinS 2019) Reply with quote

Hello,

we intend to migrate HM 9.50 (on Windows Server 2012) to HM latest rev (12.64) on new VM with Windows Server 2019.

HM is used in Production data center and thus we are concerned about the best migration path and possible fallback strategy.

In case we encounter errors and then want to roll back, the HM host is not the problem, but what about the agents? We have around 50 passive agents installed (no active ones).
Is agent upgrade mandatory with HM upgrade or only if new agent features shall be used (in the future)? If latter, we would skip the agent upgrade for now and only upgrade server components (HM, webserver, utilities etc).

Concerning HM upgrade itself we have envisaged following procedure:
- Install new HM 12.6 on new Server 2019 and stop HM process.

- Copy all .lst, .ini from old HM to new HM into according directories (as shown in https://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1099)
This brings up the questions (as HM versions differ)
- we expect, the format of all .lst files will be converted, could please confirm?
- will we loose (possible useful) default configuration coming with installation of 12.6 (not yet existed in 9.5) in the .lst files?
- what about the additional .lst files coming with HM 12 (e.g. snmpacc2.lst) not yet existed in 9.50? Will they just be kept with their default content, not conflicting with copied .lst files from old HM?

- Unfortunately the HML strategy was not built by me (and responsible person no longer available)
So, I can see that there is single HML file configured (menu: "File/properties"; Under "File name" in dialog "Test list properties")
where "store historical data in file" is checked also (but afaik the latter is for log files only, not for the HML file export).
And I see that every night a new HML file is exported containing all the currently configured tests.

So, the question would be:
After copied .lst, .ini files and restarted HM 12.6 as service, I will delete the root element in the test list and then manually load old HML list from HM 9.5 via clicking in HM 12.6 "File/Load test list".
Is this the correct procedure? (I tested it, seems to work, but I didnt start monitoring as old HM still running)
I can also copy the old HML file to data directory of HM 12.6, but it will be replaced every night anyway.
(I read in the documentation about HML Manager, but cannot find it. Is this application required or can I proceed as described?)

- HM 12.6 has features "Network discovery" and "Network Map", not yet in 9.5.
Is it required to provide the IP range(s) in "Network discovery". Or is this only required when using "Network Map", but not for running monitoring?

- We are also viewing statistical data, by selecting a single test and right click: "Test info...", "History charts...", "LogAnalyzer"
We have configured Mssql as primary log and HostMonitor\Logs\%ddmmyyyy%-log.txt as backup logs.
- LogAnalyzer seems reading data from primary log (so, from DB in our case), correct?
- From which source are "Test info...", "History charts..." reading the statistics? From backup log?

I am asking, because we might require to copy log files also from old HM? (at least 24 months)

- Finally, for my boss, it could be an option to run two HostMonitors in parallel, to reduce the risk of problems after migration.
In this case, we would install HM 12.6 on new Server 2019 and only move one group of tests - partial migration. (and disabling them in HM 9.5)
Does it make sense that both HMs log to same DB table or better create own DB schema/table for new HM?
Running 9.5 and 12.6 in parallel should be no problem concerning licence, because we require a new license anyway? (9.5 seems from 2014)

"Log files"/reports will be located in local data folder for each HostMonitor.
If we later decide to merge everything (from 9.5) to new HM 12, we should start with different log file names to not conflict file names, so we can copy all logs to HM 12 data folder.
But will the statistic tools then consider also the copied log files or only the names of the ones that are configured? Maybe we could add the hour to the log name and log at different time for both HM versions?

Many thanks in advance and I apologize for so many questions

Kind Regards
Axel
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In case we encounter errors and then want to roll back, the HM host is not the problem, but what about the agents? We have around 50 passive agents installed (no active ones).

You may allow connections from both systems (old and new) using firewall and RMA settings.
Or may be you plan to use the same IP for new system?

Quote:
Is agent upgrade mandatory with HM upgrade or only if new agent features shall be used (in the future)? If latter, we would skip the agent upgrade for now and only upgrade server components (HM, webserver, utilities etc).

Well, this depends on test methods, test settings. Some tests will not works at all if you mix HostMonitor and RMA versions, some may work incorrectly.
I would suggest to update agents. If you will need to roll back (I do not see why you may need this), use RMA Manager to upgrade/downgrade all agents at once (unless you disabled remote management).

Quote:
- Copy all .lst, .ini from old HM to new HM into according directories (as shown in https://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1099)

and copy *.HML file(s) as well

Quote:
- we expect, the format of all .lst files will be converted, could please confirm?

Correct

Quote:
- will we loose (possible useful) default configuration coming with installation of 12.6 (not yet existed in 9.5) in the .lst files?

Something like new color palettes or some default report profiles?
Yes, but default profiles its basically just samples. You need to setup system for your needs and you already done this on old system.

Quote:
- what about the additional .lst files coming with HM 12 (e.g. snmpacc2.lst) not yet existed in 9.50? Will they just be kept with their default content, not conflicting with copied .lst files from old HM?

Should not be a problem

Quote:
And I see that every night a new HML file is exported containing all the currently configured tests.

Not sure what exactly means "expored" in this case. Do you mean some script export test settings into text file? Or HMScript with SaveAs command creates new .HML file with different name? Or may be HostMonitor saves changes (into the same .HML file) every night? Something else?

Regards
Alex

Last edited by KS-Soft on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After copied .lst, .ini files and restarted HM 12.6 as service, I will delete the root element in the test list and then manually load old HML list from HM 9.5 via clicking in HM 12.6 "File/Load test list".

You don't need to delete anything.
If you set the same path to data folder on new and old system (e.g. C:\ProgramData\HostMonitor) then just copy files (.LST, *.INI, *.HML) and start HostMonitor, it should load everything .
Note: .HML file can be located in some other folder

If you set different path, then you need to check *.INI files, find&replace oldPath->newPath, then start HostMonitor and check profiles (modify path for some external scripts, programs, templates - if you are using any).

Quote:
I can also copy the old HML file to data directory of HM 12.6, but it will be replaced every night anyway.

Replaced or just updated?

Quote:
- HM 12.6 has features "Network discovery" and "Network Map", not yet in 9.5.
Is it required to provide the IP range(s) in "Network discovery". Or is this only required when using "Network Map", but not for running monitoring?

Not used for monitoring.

Quote:
- Unfortunately the HML strategy was not built by me (and responsible person no longer available)
So, I can see that there is single HML file configured (menu: "File/properties"; Under "File name" in dialog "Test list properties")
where "store historical data in file" is checked also (but afaik the latter is for log files only, not for the HML file export).

No, this option is not related to logs. You need such data for SLA reports, charts, some variables.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Running 9.5 and 12.6 in parallel should be no problem concerning licence, because we require a new license anyway? (9.5 seems from 2014)

Well, you can update old license instead of ordering new one and save some money.
Please contact sales@ks-soft.net regarding your license.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- We are also viewing statistical data, by selecting a single test and right click: "Test info...", "History charts...", "LogAnalyzer"
We have configured Mssql as primary log and HostMonitor\Logs\%ddmmyyyy%-log.txt as backup logs.
- LogAnalyzer seems reading data from primary log (so, from DB in our case), correct?

Usually yes, but there are some other options... e.g. if you select test item with private log file and click on "Log Analyzer" popup menu item, it should read this private log file.
Also you may open any other log file or ODBC source using Log Analyzer menu File.

Quote:
- From which source are "Test info...", "History charts..." reading the statistics? From backup log?

HML file

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you checked this topic before January 30, please check it again. It was updated.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(I read in the documentation about HML Manager, but cannot find it. Is this application required or can I proceed as described?)

It was removed from the package. Its useful when you want to move test items between .HML files. As we know 99.9% of customers use just 1 HML file. In other cases HostMonitor "append" function can be used.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
- Finally, for my boss, it could be an option to run two HostMonitors in parallel, to reduce the risk of problems after migration.
In this case, we would install HM 12.6 on new Server 2019 and only move one group of tests - partial migration. (and disabling them in HM 9.5)

I would suggest different approach.
Backup old HostMonitor and config files (e.g. simply ZIP everything). Update old system using new HostMonitor. Make sure it works, then move to new system.
Any problem? Just stop HostMonitor and unzip old version - 1 minute job (+RMA upgrade or downgrade).

Quote:
Does it make sense that both HMs log to same DB table or better create own DB schema/table for new HM?

Then you will have duplicated records in the log. Cannot recommend this for Log Analyzer however it should work..
Probably you have some home made application that works with this database? Then you should check how it will work with duplicated records.

Regards
Alex
Axel9.5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated.

I think everything is clear now. So, we are going to upgrade HM the next days (single HM, not the parallel "safety" solution).

Please see brief summary of the key topics. Didnt want to quote to keep it in single block. Your statements bold that clarified our questions and my comment on the right.

same IP for new system?: Maybe, yes. Have to talk to firewall responsible. But no impact due to single HM solution. Just saves firewall effort.
Copy also *.HML: Now I understand. The HML(s) are configured in hostmonitor.ini, thus HM will automatically use the configured one.
.HML file can be located in other folder: OK, understood. Path can be adjusted in hostmonitor.ini to used folder/filename on new VM.
Upgrade/Downgrade RMAs at once: Now I understand. Upgrade means to replace the RMA with the one from current HM host. To downgrade the RMAs back to 9.5, I first roll back HM host to 9.5, then select upgrade RMAs (all at once).
.lst default profiles after installation its just samples: OK. We of course want to keep the current configuration, but also check for new features, but as you said, we will not miss something important when replacing .lst files
export current .HML file every night: Yes, thats what I meant. I wasnt aware that this happens automatically for the HML file configured in hostmonitor.ini.
Statistics are also read from HML files: I was also not aware of this. If the box "Store historical data in file" is checked, the statistics (48h, 60d, 24mon) will be stored in HML, and not in any primary/secondary logs. This also explains the size of HML files. And implies that statistics are refreshed automatically every 24h?
Different Upgrade approach: Ok, understood. Better proceed in 2 phases. Backup, then select "Upgrade/Repair", also upgrade agents. Then move .lst, .hml, .ini files to new VM at same HM 12 Version.

Many thanks again.

Kind Regards
Axel
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Quote:
export current .HML file every night: Yes, thats what I meant. I wasnt aware that this happens automatically for the HML file configured in hostmonitor.ini.

Usually we say "export" when we export test settings into different file format (e.g. using menu File->Export test list into text file).
As I understand you say "export" when you see updated .HML file timestamp? So you see the same file, right?
Yes, it can be updated at any time, e.g. someone added new test and click File->Save.
There are several "autosave" option located on Preferences page in the Options dialog.

Quote:
Statistics are also read from HML files: I was also not aware of this. If the box "Store historical data in file" is checked, the statistics (48h, 60d, 24mon) will be stored in HML, and not in any primary/secondary logs. This also explains the size of HML files. And implies that statistics are refreshed automatically every 24h?

Statistics recalculated and refreshed after each test probe. But HostMonitor does not rewrite file after each test.

Regards
Alex
Axel9.5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Usually we say "export" when we export test settings into different file format (e.g. using menu File->Export test list into text file).
As I understand you say "export" when you see updated .HML file timestamp? So you see the same file, right?
Yes, it can be updated at any time, e.g. someone added new test and click File->Save.
There are several "autosave" option located on Preferences page in the Options dialog.

Yes, you are right. Now, I think I fully understand the process. HML file is just file backup of tests and statistics, regulary updated as configured in "Preferences/Autosave options" or manually File->Save. I misleadingly called this "export", but referred to the nightly autosave. The actual "export to file" I have tested also, but seems not ideal for complete migration to other server, also not containing statistics. "export to file" seems better suited for transferring only single or group of tests.

So, HML file has the function that one can restore (or move to other server) tests and statistics. HML file is only read on startup of HM to configure tests and load the statistics.

Quote:
Statistics recalculated and refreshed after each test probe. But HostMonitor does not rewrite file after each test.

OK, got it, statistics are always in memory and recalculated per test.

Thanks for final clarification. Great support.

Kind Regards
Axel
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome
Quote:
The actual "export to file" I have tested also, but seems not ideal for complete migration to other server, also not containing statistics.

Its not for HostMonitor <-> HostMonitor migration at all.
It can be used for
- migration to some other software
- mass modification

You may modify many test items in several ways:
1) Select set of tests, click Edit - this allow to modify common parameters (schedule, time interval, alert profile, logging options, etc)
2) use HM Script commands like SetTestParam, ReplaceTestParam. E.g. ReplaceTestParam _AllTCP timeout 2000 5000
3) use Export/Import function + any text editor with Find&Replace function

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: