KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Master test alert scheduling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
argis

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Master test alert scheduling Reply with quote

I want to send an alert when a device doesn't respond to a ping test after three minutes. I scheduled the ping test for every three minutes, and set an alert to send after two failed results, but I've found a problem.

I've set the ping test as a master test for all the other tests on each device. This means that the ping test is running more often than it is scheduled, and it may run (and fail) twice within a short time if two other tests run close together.

Is there a way to enforce a three minute delay before re-checking and sending an alert?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I scheduled the ping test for every three minutes, and set an alert to send after two failed results, but I've found a problem.

This means target host can be dead for 5:59 and you will not know this.
I would suggest to set test interval to 1 min and start action after 3rd or 4th bad result.

Quote:
Is there a way to enforce a three minute delay before re-checking and sending an alert?

1) You may use advanced mode action with expression like
('%SimpleStatus%'=='DOWN') and (%CurrentStatusDuration_sec%>=180) and (%CurrentStatusDuration_sec%<200)

2) or you may set test interval to the same value as "Consider status of the master test obsolete after N seconds" option (Options dialog -> Behavior page)
If you set this option to 60sec, then use the same interval for Master test, this way it will be performed exactly 3 times in 3 minutes so you may use "standard" action.

3) or you may setup additional Ping test for such alert and use Master Ping just to prevent other tests to start alerts.

Regards
Alex
argis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, the advanced mode expression is just what I needed.
argis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have another problem. I would like to create a good status action for when the device comes back online again. However since this uses a logical expression I'm not able to use the "depends on a bad action" option, and I can't work out how to limit it to one reply, and only after the conditions were met for the "bad" message.
Is there a way to do this?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may try expression like
('%SimpleStatus%'=='UP') and (("%PreviousStatus%"=="No answer") or ("%PreviousStatus%"=="Bad")) and (%PreviousStatusDuration_Sec%>180)

But I would switch to option #2 or #3 and use standard actions.

Regards
Alex
argis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, I'll work my way through those options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: