KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

event log test -- The stub received bad data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avery_larry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: event log test -- The stub received bad data Reply with quote

I am running HM version 8.14 as a service.
I just moved my installation from a Windows 2008 R2 Server to a Windows 2019 Standard Server.
Most of the tests are working just fine. My biggest problem is that none of my NT Event Log tests are working. All of them return the error:
"System Error. Code : 1783. The stub received bad data"
I am a bit stumped. The tests still work on the 2008 R2 server, which implies to me that it's not an issue with the remote server. I am not aware of any special exceptions that I made on the remote server specific to the old 2008 R2 server (though it was a long time ago).
I double checked that HM in general and the event log tests in particular are setup exactly the same (as best as I can).

I have one other test that fails from the new server. Just in case this helps figure things out. The other test is a URL request test. It is set to connect to our internal SSRS server (Sql reporting services). Oddly, there are other URL request tests that *do* work. It is only this one that does not. The only difference I can think of is that the SSRS server needs Active Directory authentication.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.14?
Support term for this version expired 8 years ago.
Also, its not designed for Windows Server 2019.
Try latest version, does it show the same error?
(please backup your config files before update or make sure new version and new config files will be installed into different folder; I assume your free updates and support term expired long time ago, so you may want to revert back to old version after testing; or order update)

>"System Error. Code : 1783. The stub received bad data"

Looks like various Windows related issues may lead to such error (in other words we don't know what exactly is the reason in your case, sorry).
Do you use "NT mode" or "Vista mode" for this test?
You should use Vista mode for new systems.

Quote:
I have one other test that fails from the new server. Just in case this helps figure things out. The other test is a URL request test

Works when HostMonitor started on Windows 2008 R2?
HTTPS protocol?
What exactly means "fails"? Test status "No answer"? "Bad"? "Bad content"? Unknown host? Something else?
If you see "No answer" status, then may be your web server uses some old ciphers or SSL version for SSL/TLS sessions, it could be disabled on Windows Server 2019.

Regards
Alex
averylarry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded and still have an issue or 2. I'll start a new thread.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use "NT mode" or "Vista mode" for this test?

PS
I see no reason for new thread.
Please use 1 thread for 1 problem, not 2-3 threads.

Regards
Alex
averylarry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new thread is a different issue. HM 8.14 doesn't have a choice of NT or Vista mode. 11.98 does and it resolved the "stub received bad data" issue.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right. This option implemented in version 8.68

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: