KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

False Alarm For Every Test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmoore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: False Alarm For Every Test Reply with quote

Occasionally our HostMon sends a (host changed status - no answer) alert for many (maybe every configured); then ten minutes later sends a (host changed status - Host is alive) notice for each test.

I always assumed it was Windows Updates restarting the machine.
But today, for the first time this happened, I looked in the event viewer of the machine on which HostMon runs, and find no Event ID 6006 today.

In fact, I see no entries in the logs that align with the time of these notifications.

Do you have any suggestions of what would cause these false alarms?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will take some time, may be a lot of time, and we will need a lot of details. I think its better to use e-mail.
For beginning:
- Windows?
- Service Pack?
- Antivirus monitor? firewall?
- HostMonitor version?
- Do you use ODBC logging or ODBC test method? If yes, what ODBC driver do you use?
- What other tests do you use and what test methods fail?
- Do you have tests that check system where HostMonitor is installed? What happens on the system at this time? CPU usage? Memory usage? Handles? Threads? What process uses most of resources?
- Do you have test that checks network connection? E.g. if your router does not respond (may be it reboots sometimes) then ping to router should fail as well.
Normally you set some Master tests, this way you can get just 1 alert when your router fails; 1 alert when Internet connection dropped, and so on.

>(maybe every configured)

Please check the log and find what tests fail and what tests do not.
May be local tests (related to your LAN) work fine while external (Internet) tests fail?
May be tests related to HostMonitor system work fine while all other (LAN and Internet) fail?
May be all tests fail?

>then ten minutes later sends a (host changed status - Host is alive) notice for each test.

Sounds like somebody needs to use power socket for vacuum cleaner and unplugs your router for 10 min.
Have you tried to perform some tests manually at this time? Like ping some host from command line (if ping test failed)? Open web site using IE (if URL test failed)? "Refresh" some HostMonitor tests?

Regards
Alex
mmoore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Sorry, I just now saw this.

What is the best way to correspond by email?

Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

support@ks-soft.net
(or just click HostMonitor menu Help->Support)

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: