KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

[Info] Single Quote and Apostrophe .... LOL!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlorianLel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: [Info] Single Quote and Apostrophe .... LOL!!!! Reply with quote

Hi all

Almost Happy new year. This topic is especially for frenchs

Yesterday I spent 4 hours on that:

Perf count sometime Work, sometime not... totaly Randomly >_<...

After tones of search and test I came to the following conclusion;

The first santence work, second doesn't:

\\%fvar_ipaddress%\Système\Temps d'activité système
\\%fvar_ipaddress%\Système\Temps d’activité système

-First one is à Apostrophe " ' " (ASCII code : 39)
-The seconde one is Single RIGHT quotation (ASCII code : 8217)

For more information :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/419718/html-code-for-an-apostrophe
Quote:
There are important differences between quotes, apostrophes, and other symbols like degrees and minutes and inches and feet. Even if they look the same ' and '' to you, that depends on the fonts. It also depends on the application. For instance word processors in French change quotes to guillermets like << and >> , and the placement of curly quotes low or high also varies between languages. Similar problems come up with hyphens and dashes, and a line-break hyphen is not the same as a word-formation hyphen, and a minus sign is quite another thing again. Programming languages which hiccup when a – user1480166 Jun 25 '12 at 13:45

With this Font you will see immediatly the difference but try with "Lucida Console" and ask a colleague (Like i did with 3 colleagues(when I thought about going crazy)) :p

So conclusion, if you are french and you have a perfcounter who doesn't work, look at the single quote... for perfcounter you NEED TO USE Apostrophe : ALT+39
And not Single quote : ALT+8217

Important note, i don't know whene, what, how but i'am almost sure (>90%) than it's HostMonitor who have converted apostrophe to singlequote (Cause Since both have been generated with sometimes English and sometimes French systems)
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor does not change counter name and should not use Single RIGHT quotation char.
May be you used export/import option and edited text file with test settings using some text editor?

Regards
Alex
FlorianLel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
HostMonitor does not change counter name and should not use Single RIGHT quotation char.
May be you used export/import option and edited text file with test settings using some text editor?

Regards
Alex

No, it's for that i said that.
I made templates from tests on servers with Copy feature.

But nvermind, the problem is solved, i juste want to advert:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: