Service test report problem

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
mrw

Service test report problem

Post by mrw »

Hi,
I have a problem with one specific service test.
The service is VMTools and I know it is running. But the test reports that is is Bad and produces an alert.
Also in the "Choose service to monitor" windows the service VMTools is listed as running.
But somehow the test still reports VMTools as bad. I tested to change the service to any other that is running and then the test turned to OK, so the test itself seems to work. But when I switched to VMTools is goes back to Bad.

What can be wrong? I know that the VM Tools is running an working when I check in vSphere. I have lots of other servers where I perform the exact same test. All of them working. and all of the other tests on this server works as intended.

Any ideas?
//Andreas..
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Looks like service does not respond to SERVICE_CONTROL_INTERROGATE request.
We tested couple VMWare Tools, they work.

What exactly version of VMWare Tools installed on your system?
Windows? Service Pack?

Regards
Alex
mrw

Post by mrw »

VM Tools version: 10272. Should be latest for ESXi 6.5.0
Windows version: 2012R2
All updates from Windows update since about a month.
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

We tested the same config on our system, works fine - VMWare Tools respond.

Regards
Alex
mrw

Post by mrw »

We figured out what the problem was.

We have several VMhosts and the VMs can float around freely. And apparently all our hosts wasn´t upgraded to 6.5. One was still at 6.0 and when this VM ended up at the 6.0 host, we got this problem.
So I think it´s because the VMTools agent is for 6.5 and cannot communicate 100% properly with a 6.0 host.
A bit weird since the service is running and should report to hostmon that it is. But this atleast was the issue.
The solution ofcourse is to have all VMhosts upgraded to the same major revision.

//Andreas..
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I see, thanks for information

Regards
Alex