KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Configure DHCP Test from VMware Hosted HostMonitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TFHDC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Configure DHCP Test from VMware Hosted HostMonitor Reply with quote

I am trying to setup DHCP test using two methods both are failing. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Method 1, using default DHCP test, specifying DHCP servername in "Host", default timeout and Request IP is an IP in the configured scope of that particular DHCP server. Returns "No answer". In DHCP logs:
15,12/05/16,19:10:31,NACK,10.238.3.201,,000C6E8CD461,,0,6,,,

Method2, using shell script and dhcpcheck:
StartCMD:
%Script% %Params%
Script:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\HostMonitor\Utils\dhcpcheck\dhcpcheck.exe" -host:10.238.0.21 -clientIP:10.238.3.241 -timeout:5000

Result on HostMonitor:
Confirmation packet was not received
Result on DHCP server:
15,12/05/16,19:09:41,NACK,10.238.3.241,,000C6E8CD461,,0,6,,,
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor version?
Could you capture traffic using packet analyzer (WireShark) and send to support@ks-soft.net?

Regards
Alex
TFHDC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is happening in version:
v10.30

I will capture and send. Thank you.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't see answer from DHCP server.
Firewall/router issue?

Regards
Alex
TFHDC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay, we are evaluating other products but am returning to take a look at HostMonitor. I spent much time configuring tests and really love the product. I am only scratching the full potential, I recently used it to test eventviewer logs for a specific event.. I love this product, I just wish I could get the DHCP test working.

The DHCP request reach the test DHCP server however I believe it is something to do with the fact it is hosted on ESX environment. When I test this from a physical server it works within the same network.

Are there any advanced support options available once license is purchased?

In the meantime, I will search the forums for vmware related threads and try to troubleshoot further on my end perhaps also engage VMWare. Thanks.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The DHCP request reach the test DHCP server however I believe it is something to do with the fact it is hosted on ESX environment. When I test this from a physical server it works within the same network.

DHCP server runs in guest OS?
Then I think you should use "Bridged" mode for virtual network adapter.
Also, if this is Windows DHCP server, it checks if there are any other DHCP servers in the same network segment. And VMWare host acts like DHCP server so may be this cause problem?

Where HostMonitor is running? Another guest OS on the save VMWare host?

>When I test this from a physical server it works within the same network.

Do you means DHCP test works when HostMonitor started on another physical server?
but does not work when HostMonitor started on another guest OS on the save VMWare host (host where DHCP server running)?

Quote:
Are there any advanced support options available once license is purchased?

Its the same kind of support for all customers

Regards
Alex
david.matthewson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: DHCP tests on ESXi 5.5 Guests Reply with quote

I run several sites where we use Hostmon to check that the DHCP servers are working on Windows 2012r2 Guests running on ESX 5.5 hosts.

I'm embarrassed to say the only problem I've ever had was forgetting to add Hostmon.exe to the 'allowed' exes to pass traffic through the firewall - and get it back - from the target running the DHCP server. (Remember this is UDP not TCP.....and Microsoft firewalls..)

God luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: