KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Internet Throughput

View previous topic :: View next topic  
V Arun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Internet Throughput Reply with quote

Is there a way to check the Internet Throughput? For ex. if the ISP link is 2 Mbps full duplex, is there a way to test it to know if we are actually getting 2 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps Upstream ?

Regards,
Arun
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no such test. Theoretically it can be implemented with help of service or RMA on another end (if you control host on another end of this channel) but such test will fully load your channel at execution time

Some routers can be set to check channel parameters (ping response time, jitter) and send SNMP Traps when parameters out of range.
Also speed can be checked by Ping using use large packets...

Regards
Alex
Svend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can my add a vote.

I have a number of sites that are on ADSL connections and find there are times where the internet just slows down. When I get staff to reboot the router it syncs up at a good speed again.

Ping tests are not telling me anything is bad.

On one site something strange is happening, a lone laptop connected to the router gets good throughput but when connected to the switch with all workstations and servers on the internet occasionally just grinds to a halt, yet pining the router from either side is fine, so I'm struggling to work this out. When I visit the site all is working fine but when it's pad I cannot get remote access. All I get is hostmon stats and when it is really bad not even that.

It would be nice to run a test at night when I have nothing else going on and at least having an alert to tell me to have someone kick the router in the morning.

I have RMAs on these sites so if they could parse a file of some type and measure the resultant upload and download times it would do the trick.
Svend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can my add a vote.

I have a number of sites that are on ADSL connections and find there are times where the internet just slows down. When I get staff to reboot the router it syncs up at a good speed again.

On one site something strange is happening, a lone laptop connected to the router gets good throughput but when connected to the switch with all workstations and servers on the internet occasionally just grinds to a halt, yet pining the router from either side is fine, so I'm struggling to work this out. When I visit the site all is working fine but when it's pad I cannot get remote access. All I get is hostmon stats and when it is really bad not even that.

It would be nice to run a test at night when I have nothing else going on and at least having an alert to tell me to have someone kick the router in the morning.

I have RMAs on these sites so if they could parse a file of some type and measure the resultant upload and download times it would do the trick.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

HTTP/HTTPS slows down while ping works fine?
Ping packet size? Packets per test?
Ping results - reply time? Lost ratio? Jitter?
May be you should try larger packets and check lost ratio and jitter?

Quote:
When I visit the site all is working fine but when it's pad I cannot get remote access.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean web server responds to HTTP requests but you cannot login to server using some other protocols (e.g. SSH)?

Regards
Alex
menno

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

may this in an idea for the time being

i have done this on my Centos 7 linux box

- cd /root
- wget https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py
- mv speedtest_cli.py /root/speedtest_cli
- chmod 755 speedtest_cli

make a hostmonitor check based on a SSH test

test 1 : DOWNLOAD speed
Host | port : your linux box ip address
command : echo "scriptres:Normal:`/root/speedtest-cli |grep \"Download:\" |awk '{print $2}'`"
check for : Shell script results
test name : %agent% SSH Internet DOWNLOAD speed in Mbits

test 2 : UPLOAD speed
Host | port : your linux box ip address
command : echo "scriptres:Normal:`/root/speedtest-cli |grep \"Upload:\" |awk '{print $2}'`"
check for : Shell script results
test name : %agent% SSH Internet UPLOAD speed in Mbits

Hopes this will help you
I use this test on serveral locations and is working well for me

Maybe HM team / Alex can help to make the test goes to BAD if the value is lower than X Mbits.
Now every time HM checks the status allways be Normal

good luck with it
Menno

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UPDATE: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just create a simple and easy package for windows.

If you don’t already have a copy of Python installed on your computer, you will need to
open up your Internet browser and go to the Python download page. https://www.python.org/downloads/

install python on your pc.

then for windows you can use this: speedtest-4-windows.rar
http://www28.zippyshare.com/v/FKwSumet/file.html

that works great for me on windows
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: