KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Changing the connect as account on Check Service test

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvanscot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many service being checked on mulitple systems. I use a domain admin account. I need to change this account and password. Do I have to go into each test and change each individually or can is there a way I can change multiple tests at one time?
tvanscot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I am on version 3.70
baschuel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I think there is no way in the GUI!
But if all Tests where you want to change the username/password are from the same type you can make it with a hms script. Just make a text-file for example "changeup.hms"
and put in the following:
SetTestParam _AllService UserName user1
SetTestParam _AllService Password pw1

Then execute it from HostMonitor File -> Execute Script

regards
Bastian

[ This Message was edited by: baschuel on 2003-07-25 07:40 ]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct. In version 4.0 you may use another command: "ReplaceTestParam <TestName>|<GroupName>
<ParameterName> <Value_that_should_be_replaced> <New value>

Regards
Alex
hmo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or even make it quite simple by establish a "monitor-admin" user on every (remote) server you're watching. In that case You just letting this user have admin-priv. and never change password for it again!

Obviously you have to "secure" this user-id and password... but if only a handfull of users is manageing your net...it should'nt be that hard!

...or even better... you just upgrade to HM v4.x and do the work through RMAs... since RMAs is working with full rights on every installed system (it should be)... then you just have the RMA -> HM communicatinos to secure! Remote Management Agents IS in fact the best way to work. You'll drop RPC's ie. service,process, cpu, drive-check ... and only talk TCP/port (crypted) directly to an agent! That's the way.... By the way... RMAs, RMA-Mgr and how HM is working together is... quite smart! Salute to Alex for that part (well... there are some small issues to be made...but Alex is damn close for makeing a fantastic (again) product).
Cheers,
Hans Mosegaard
Marcus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>You just letting this user have admin-priv. and never change password for it again!
And give a hackers all the time in the world to hack the password . A better way should be an automatic way to change passwords (remote and locally).

If HostMonitor could implement an automatic password change functionallity, both problems would be solved. (in the whish list: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=853&forum=6 )

>Remote Management Agents IS in fact the best way to work. You'll drop RPC's ie. service,process, cpu, drive-check ... and only talk TCP/port (crypted) directly to an agent! That's the way
I dissagree . For some tests (like cpu or drive-check, you are right), but for the majority of the test I perform this is not a valid way to test. It wil not incorperate network problems and use. Secondly, you have to install another piece of software on your production server (something I would avoid as much as possible).

I see RMA as the way to avoid testing over slow or small network connections. Setup a RMA on the remote site (a seperate machine) to test all servers in the remote site. The majority of the work will be done at the remote site, only results have to be sent over the slow connection.

I even would prefer RMA agents to store all logging locally and *only* report failures to HostMonitor, with the exception of a heartbeat, to check the status of the RMA agent. It would then be possible to schedule the retrieval of the logging on low usage hours. (again: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=854&forum=6&0 ) That's my way to go! :grin:

[ This Message was edited by: Marcus on 2003-07-27 05:00 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: