KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SplanK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve data Reply with quote

Hello,
For weeks a CPU test has been working fine on 2x Windows 2008 r2 servers. These servers are doing the same job (RDP gateway server), the severs are split into their own DMZs and the Hostmonitor has to cross a firewall (2 different firewalls, again one at each site). The LAN has unrestricted access into these DMZ's but will allow traffic to pass back.

In the last few days I have noticed that, out of 17 tests, there is one test (CPU Usage) that's repeatedly flipping between "RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve data" and returning a result. It is the only test that seems to do it, but is happening on these 2x RDP gateway servers. We have other VLANs with similar restrictive access setups with no issues.

The test is set to recheck every 5 minutes, and on "bad" change to every 30 seconds. Again a lot of other tests are like this with no problem

Thanks
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like timeout related issue.
If you are using passive RMA, try to increase timeout intervals on RMA and HostMonitor sides.
SplanK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have changed the time out of the RMA app on the target side to 120, and using RMA manager, set the server side to 240. Still the same.

There does not appear to be a time out alteration for the CPU test unless I am looking in the wrong place?
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What HostMonitor and RMA agent versions do you use?
Could you please check RMA agent logs? Any errors?
SplanK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Host Mon 9.90 / RMA 4.11

No error log generated on agent.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HostMonitor 9.90 comes with RMA ver. 4.88.
Please use all components (HostMonitor, RMA, RCC etc.) from one installation package.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.11? May be you checked version of rma_cfg.exe utility?

Regards
Alex
SplanK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aah, yes sorry! rma_cfg is 4.11

The agent is 4.88 as deployed by the 9.90 install file.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>There does not appear to be a time out alteration for the CPU test unless I am looking in the wrong place?

It depends on Windows RPC timeouts, 2 min by default I think.
"RMA: 301 - Cannot retrieve data" means HostMonitor is able to connect to agent but agent cannot retrieve information from target host within specified timeout. So problem should be related to target host (system too busy or out of resources?) or connection between RMA and target host.

Regards
Alex
SplanK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These 2 severs are very under utilised, these are also virtual machines which sit on a host which has an awful lot of spare headroom. In fact, these virtual guests and hosts spend most of their life idle (seems pointless having them to be honest!).

It is plausible that it could be the connection to the remove host however this is where my curveball comes in.

Looking at the logs, there does not seem to be any sort of pattern to the flip flop behaviour.

1. These 2 machines are in their own DMZ. Their settings on the firewall are the same as another DMZ and I am happy to poll another Server 2008R2 server no problem across the same firewalls.

My firewall logs suggests there is nothing being blocked or over saturated ( at most, 20% load)

2. There are other tests (2 Active scripts, memory tests, hard drive space, service tests and TCP poll checks). All of which have been fine on both servers, it is just the CPU one that flip flops between RMA 301 and returning a result.

3. When I refresh the test, it does not take 2 minutes to time out, its more 2-5 seconds.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are other tests (2 Active scripts, memory tests, hard drive space, service tests and TCP poll checks). All of which have been fine on both servers, it is just the CPU one that flip flops between RMA 301 and returning a result.

Yes, this means network works fine, RPC service available, atc.
Then it sounds like problem relates to Performance Counters DLLs. But as we know it works fine on Windows 2008 R2 (or does not work at all if somebody disabled some counters)...

Quote:
These 2 severs are very under utilised, these are also virtual machines which sit on a host which has an awful lot of spare headroom. In fact, these virtual guests and hosts spend most of their life idle (seems pointless having them to be honest!).

Could you check handles, threads usage on these systems?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: