KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ping Test Failures

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
decksla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have HM v1.78 installed on a W2K Server. im monitoring about 166 items with alot more to come.

they are mainly just Pings and UNC HD space checks.

there is a problem in that, sometimes, a ping will fail and alert us (alerting after 4 failures, pings every 15 secs - timeout 4000ms, 1 retry). Running 10 tests at one time.

i have ran a continuous ping from a dos window (on say, server X), while monitoring is happening and sometimes, i still get 2-3 failures whilst pinging server X.

we are using 2 network cards, which are teamed for load balancing and are also using dhcp for the HM server.

will it run better with a fixed ip address? is there a way to stop the false ping alerts?

can i please get a reply to this post or on email on dexter_eugenio@toll.com.au

thank you!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think static IP address can help, there no difference.
ICMP packets has lower priority than TCP, and when your network loaded some routers can transmit TCP packets but drop ping packets. Probably this is reason for the problem (just assumption, I don't know exactly).
How to avoid it? I don't see perfect solution, try to play with test parameters. Its good to increase Retries value (set to 3 or 4), HostMonitor will send several ping packets only if 1st packet lost.

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: