KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Host Monitor & Server 2012 R2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xcentric

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Host Monitor & Server 2012 R2 Reply with quote

HM does run on 2012 R2, however the web service throws an error complaining about msvcr71.dll.

"SSL Error: Cannot load msvcr71.dll. The specified module could not be found. Web service switches to HTTP mode."

I tried to satisfy the request by placing the file from a 2008 R2 box in the same folder. The error went away but the web service config still did not load. It does show as running in processes but no gui.

Everything else seems to be fine.

Regards
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one http://www.ks-soft.net/download/libs/msvcr71.zip
Also you may have problems with NT Event Log tests, there is bug in Windows API.
We do not recommend Windows 2012...

Regards
Alex
xcentric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dice. same result.

Oh well. I don't use the web service very much.

Not having any issue with events......so far.

I like to live dangerous.

Regards
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed fresh Windows Server 2012 R2 (Build 9600).
Web Service works without any problems (HTTP and HTTPS mode).
I've also tried to put msvcr71.dll, provided by Alex into WebService folder - works even with it.
Looks like problems lies somwhere else...
xcentric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right. It was something else.
Something in this config is not working in the new server which worked on the old server. File was not changed. If I let the webservice create a new config it loads fine, As soon as you shove this in, it no workie.

Code:
[MainForm]
FormVersion=0
Flags=0
ShowCmd=2
PixelsPerInch=96
MinMaxPos(1024x768)=-1,-1,-1,-1
MinMaxPos=-1,-1,-1,-1
NormPos(1024x768)=296,227,728,540
NormPos=529,460,961,773
Visible=0
MinMaxPos(1692x940)=-1,-1,-1,-1
NormPos(1692x940)=529,460,961,773
[HTML]
CustomStyleCompact=style="font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 50%; white-space:nowrap"
CustomStyleNormal =style="font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 8pt; white-space:nowrap"
CustomStyleErrors =style="font-family: Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; white-space:nowrap"
AutoRefresh=0
RefreshTime=60
CompactAutoRefresh=0
CompactRefreshTime=60
CustomErrorPage1=0
AutoLogin=0
Pswd=1852458279
Data1=
Data2=
[RCI]
Address=REMOVED
Port=1054
Timeout=10
[Http]
Port=443
Active=0
ListenAddr=REMOVED
[Access]
PublicAccess=0
PublicFolder=
PrivateAccess1=0
PrivateFolder1=
PrivateAccess2=0
PrivateFolder2=
PrivUserList=
PrivUserMark=
[Profiles]
UseDefault=0
DefaultProfile=-1
[SSL]
EnableSSL=1
DisableSSLv2=1
CertPswd=
DisableDES=1
Disable3DES=1
DisableIDEA=1
DisableMD5=1
DisableSSLv2=1
DisableExport40=1

Regards
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still cannot reproduce.
Your webservice.ini works on our fresh Windows Server 2012 R2.
We've just changed HTTP.ListenAddr and RCI.Address
Try to remove webservice.ini and configure Web Service using GUI.
RolfGraber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Win-Server 2012 R2 Reply with quote

Is HostMon on Win-Server 2012 R2 now supported? Which version?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some bugs in Windows 2012, we do not recommend it

Regards
Alex
RolfGraber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you officially support it?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we have no idea when Microsoft will fix these issues.

Actually we did not see any problems except Events Log API, it does not work correctly in multithreaded environment. If you do not use a lot of NT Event Log tests, its probably safe to use HostMonitor on Windows 2012 (you may set "Non-simultaneously test execution" folder-level option for such tests).
However some customers had problems with ICMP protocol as well (Ping tests), we could not reproduce any ICMP related problem.

Regards
Alex
RolfGraber

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your answer
timn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

This seemed like the best thread to append my questions to.

I have been given a VM instance running Win 2012 R2 (64 bit). My task was to migrate Host Monitor for a rusty old 2003 instance to this 2-12 server.

The Host Monitor installation went fine. So did the migration from the VM running Win 2003 ( a bit more involved than I would have preferred but that can only be blamed on the architecture changes Microsoft deployed between the two server versions). Re-applying my licenses was also no problem.

It was when I ran the application with the "/InstallService" switch that I received the following message:

Code:
HostMonitor, like other interactive services, should be started using the system account.

Unfortunately, local system account has limited permissions; some test methods will not be able to check remote systems. E.g. CPU Usage, Performance Counter, Service, Process, UNC test methods will not be able to check remote systems.

Therefore you may need to set up a special user account with the necessary permissions. HostMonitor will impersonate the security context of that user.

I then came to the forum to discover, much to my utter shock and horror, that "Officially Server 2012 is not supported and not recommended." Now, being a Host Monitor user going on 13 years, a statement like that from you would have been all that was necessary to have me trade in my shiny new 2012 R2 for a slightly rusty, but thoroughly road-tested 2008 R2.

But the more I read about different people's experioences with 2012, the more I thought "That issue is not such a big deal for us since (fill in the blank)... The only thing that might be a show stopper is the potential PING issue - but you is not seeing it everywhere and it sounds like you have not been able to reproduce the problem.

So, given that:

1. I can always migrate the Mothership back to 2008 should the result be an epic fail.
  2. Except for PINGs, most of the real work in our installation is performed by our 110 RMAs.
  3. I have been thoroughly forewarned and agree to take full responsibility for any and all consequences.

I'm going to see if I can't make 2012 R2 work.

What I can't seem to find here are the specific rights and permissions I need to grant the special user I'll be creating to "run Host Monitor as..." With 2012, I assume best practice suggests we create a user acct specifically for running Host Monitor.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Tim
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What I can't seem to find here are the specific rights and permissions I need to grant the special user I'll be creating to "run Host Monitor as..." With 2012, I assume best practice suggests we create a user acct specifically for running Host Monitor.

HostMonitor started as service?
UAC enabled? Then use BUILT-IN admin account.
UAC disabled? You may use any account from administrator group.
On Windows 2012 we recommend to specify account using Windows Services applet (instead of HostMonitor Options dialog - this way prefered on older Windows)

Yes, a lot of people using Windows 2012 without problems but we still have no idea what to do if you experience ICMP related problem.
Also there are some Event Log and WMI related problems (requests made by one application can effect other 3rd party applications).
If you don't need a lot of NT Event Log tests, you may use "non-simultaneously test execution" folder-level option.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: