How do I use Passive RMA?

All questions related to installations, configurations and maintenance of Advanced Host Monitor (including additional tools such as RMA for Windows, RMA Manager, Web Servie, RCC).
Stan White

How do I use Passive RMA?

Post by Stan White »

Hi,

I have been reading the Hostmon manual and I still do not understand how to use Passive RMA.

Also I am getting a message "Wait for Master", what does this message mean?

Thanks
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

I have been reading the Hostmon manual and I still do not understand how to use Passive RMA.
RMA side configuration:
1. Start rma_cfg.exe to configure Passive RMA agent (located in RMA-Win subfolder)
2. using rma_cfg.exe provide password, select "accept connections from any IP address" or specify IP filter.
3. Apply settings and start RMA agent ("Activate" button of rma_cfg.exe, or start it as Service)

HostMonitor side configuration:
4. Add new test or edit existing one (open Test properties dialog), press button behind "Test By" option.
5. Press "New" button to add RMA agent. Specify RMA IP address, agent name and password. Press "Ok" to apply settings.
6. Make sure RMA agent name is selected in "Test By" field of Test properties dialog.
Please check for details at:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/rma- ... m#Settings
Also I am getting a message "Wait for Master", what does this message mean?
This means, that test has defined Master test, and Master test has Bad status (Or other status, depending on settings) and all Dependent test items will not be performed until Master test gets Ok status.
Please check for details at:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mfra ... htm#Master
Stan White

Post by Stan White »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

After I have setup the "Passive" RMA, how do I use it? How does it differ from the "Active" RMA?

I also have new servers that I have to monitor and I am having a problem adding them to Hostmon and I also need to copy all of my tests from an existing server to the new server.

Thanks
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

After I have setup the "Passive" RMA, how do I use it?
Just select RMA in "Test by" field of Test properties dialog.
This test will be performed by RMA agent.
How does it differ from the "Active" RMA?

Passive RMA: HostMonitor connects to Passive RMA. If Passive RMA is located behind firewall, one incoming TCP port should be opened on RMA system.
Active RMA: active RMA agent istelf connects to HostMonitor. Active RMA system may have dynamic IP/hostname and does not require incoming TCP ports to be opened.
I also have new servers that I have to monitor and I am having a problem adding them to Hostmon

What exactly problem do you have?
and I also need to copy all of my tests from an existing server to the new server.
Do you mean, you need to move HostMonitor to another server?
Please check the following article:
http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/vi ... php?t=1099
Stan White

Post by Stan White »

I apologize for multiple questions.... I think one problem at a time will help me focus on a solution.

The last problem is the priority. I have a new server that has been configured and when I add a test the server does not come up on the list of servers.
KS-Soft Europe

Post by KS-Soft Europe »

What HostMonitor version do you use?
What Test method do you use?
Have you tried to specify server name manually?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

when I add a test the server does not come up on the list of servers
What exactly means "add a test"? Are you using HostMonitor GUI and Test Properties dialog? RCC GUI? May be you are using Import function to add test item from text file?

What exactly means "on the list of servers"? There are many variuos lists where you can see test items.
Are you using HostMonitor GUI and folders tree to check list of test items? HostMonitor GUI and Views? RCC and folders? RCC and Views? SuperMatrix? Web Service? HTML, DBF or Text reports?

you may send couple screen shots to support@ks-soft.net so we will understand situation better...

Regards
Alex