KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

I'm Begging, Please..Please..Please, it would make it soo mu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msmith

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
Is there any way possible you can make it so I can assign more than 1 alert profile to a test. here is an example.

I have an action profile called "Email network" it has an action to send email to all the network people.
I have another action profile that is called "Email Webmasters" that emails the people responsible for the web servers.

Now I make some tests that monitor the webservers. If a server goes down, I want the web team to know, but I also want the network team to be aware, and want the email to goto them too. If I want to do this now, I have to make a seperate action profile that sends to Network AND Webmasters. This would be fine for just this example, but there are about 10 different departments with many different members monitoring many different systems that more than one team is responsible for.

If I could add multiple action profiles to a single test, this would make the management and configuration of hostmonitor soo much eaiser for me.

Thanks.. Also, I know that HM4 will include Email Macros, but I assume this will just be a text string in the TO: field.

Thanks
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, each test will have just one action profile. But you can use macro variable %TaskComment% or %CommentLineXX% as list of destination addresses, in this case each test will have his own mailing list.
In version 4.0 you will be able to use %FolderComment% and %FCommentLine% variables as well. If you have grouped tests by depearments using different folders, you can easily setup mailing list for each folder/department.

Regards
Alex
msmith

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Alex,

Having a email list for each test is kinda what I am trying to avoid. I will have hundreds of tests, I need a way to group my email addresses, and send HM notifacations to a specific group or groups. We have a bit of turnover here, and if we get a new team member I would have to go through hundreds of tests to put the new email address in.

Don't get me wrong Alex, I love HM, it has helped alot, and we plan on upgrading to HM4. I just need a better way to manage E-mail addresses.

One way would be the ability to create a .TXT file listing email addresses(ie. NETWORK.TXT, ADMINS.TXT TECHS.TXT BOSSES.TXT) and then in the email action, have the ability to select multiple lists to send it to.

There may already be a way to do what I need to do in HM, but I haven't found it yet, and if you know of a way, let me know, but changing every test, and every action profile whenever we lose or gain a teammember is alot of administration, and seems like it could be handled better within HM.

This was not a rant, just some feedback.

Thanks Alex.

Mike
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way would be the ability to create a .TXT file listing email addresses(ie. NETWORK.TXT, ADMINS.TXT TECHS.TXT BOSSES.TXT) and then in the email action, have the ability to select multiple lists to send it to.

HostMonitor 4 supports global macro variables. I think you will not need text files. You will be able to define variables like:
%udv_NetworkGroup% = kim@company.com; garry@company.com; bill@company.com
%udv_AdminGroup% = garry@company.com; admin@company.com
and use these variables in the action: "To: %udv_NetworkGroup%; %udv_AdminGroup%"

Regards
Alex
msmith

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like that might do the trick. I guess I'll have to wait.

Thanks.
Guido39

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problems dealing with easily adding or changing e-mail addresses. For example, there is a primary contact for a group of systems but when he goes out of town, I switch alerting to the secondary person. This can be a big pain.

The global macros option looks like a pretty good solution. What I would also like to see is a global action section.

For example, you would create an action that sends an e-mail to Joe Schmoe. Then instead of having to create this action inside of different alert profiles, you could just select it from a list. Hope that makes sense.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, may be its useful. But it will not be implemented in version 4.0. Probably later..

Regards
Alex
Wooltown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you let your mailsystem handle the group issue.

let HM send mail to HM_Group1 -- HM_Group99, it's easier to have user in groups defined in a central system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: