testing on linux

General chat about HostMonitor (all messages posted before March 07, 2003 available here).
stladmin

Post by stladmin »

i need to test for the presence of a file on a computer running Linux. how can i do this?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stladmin on 2003-06-16 10:07 ]</font>
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

It all depends on your linux installation. It must provide a way for hostmonitor to access the file. Samba is one such way.

Post by Guest »

So, there's no way other than windows file sharing (or emulation) to check for files?
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

Not yet. Now file sharing is the only way. HostMonitor 4.0 (will be available soon) supports remote agents those can be installed on remote systems. We already have agent for Windows platform. Agent for Linux is not ready yet, probably will be available in HostMonitor 4.10

Regards
Alex
stladmin

Post by stladmin »

Fair enough! Thanks for the quick response. It's great to see such active support. :smile:
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

ftp is another possibility...
kkern

Post by kkern »

I used the web server and some shell scripting for tests on a UNIX server.

I wrote a small shell script to pull apart the disk usage and flagged anything over 90%. Then I put the files in a web directory and used a "URL request" for each volume and checked the content of the file for the word WARNING.

I scheduled the shell script via cron to run every 5 minutes.

I'm planning on testing more things (like Perl scripts that run all the time, etc.), just haven't yet.