KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Unlimited Action Profiles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnv

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Unlimited Action Profiles Reply with quote

Hey Guys,

I've been working with Hostmon for a couple years now and have always tried to think of ways on how to manage Action Profiles but it always feels like I need to create 'workarounds'.

I feel that it would be INSANELY INCREDIBLY useful to allow for unlimited action profiles to be assigned to tests.

Why limit this to just two? I feel so restricted just thinking about it.

I'm finding that I need to create multiple alert profiles which are only slightly different.

i.e.
- We have 3 tests (T1, T2, T3) which needs to have 3 recipients alerted (R1, R2, R3)
- R1 has its own action profile created (AP1) and is applied to all tests by default
- R2 and R3 have had their own action profile created (AP2)
- AP1 and AP2 is applied to multiple tests (T1, T2, T3)

If we have another test (T4) created with same recipients + 1 extra (R4), there is no way to add R4 to the alert because:
- All T4 action profile slots are already filled with AP1 and AP2
- If we add R4 to AP2 which is applied to T4 then R4 will now also receive alerts for T1, T2, and T3.

This gets worse when we add in SMS alerts and whatever else next to Email alerts.

It would be a lot simpler, cleaner, smoother, easier to manage if we had:
Action Profiles for:
- 2 Categories (Email and SMS) (or more categories for other things if you want. You can actually take this competely out as we could just rename the action profiles to 'categorise' the alert profiles ourselves)
- Each individual recipient/group

This way you can specifically add the recipients you want to any test.

Awesome idea and surely it wouldn't be too hard to implement. Who else thinks so??? Worth a million bucks I reckon.

(P.S. sorry if my example was not clear or too long to read )
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm, I am not sure why do you need more than 1 profile per test.
Various recepients? Use macro variables.

E.g. you may specify recepients list for "Send e-mail" action using 2nd comment line of the test; specify recepients list for "Send SMS" action using 3rd comment line and use %CommentLine2%, %CommentLine3% variables to setup action.
http://ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#macroparams

If test items grouped in folders by customers/recepients, then you may use folder-level variables.
http://ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#testlist.htm#folder_var

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: