KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

WHOIS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zacherynuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: WHOIS Reply with quote

AKA - the cursed port 43

After years of having whois checks save my ass I am now having more and more stop working, to the point that, now I have several domains I simply cannot find a server on the list to give me a reply. These aren't fancy domains either - mostly just COMs

Generally I am used to this, they will randomly stop working, I'll trawl through the list and get them working again for a month or two, but it's getting more and more frequent.

Any advice ? I am tempted to get a paid for subscription from some horrible company and go back to using a script...

cheers

(Still the best tool for this sort of thing out there after how long now - I've been using HM for ~7 years at least! - I hope the quiet of the forums isn't a bas sign!)
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you are talking about Domain expiration test (http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#domain)?
Usually WHOIS providers block IPs with too frequent requests.

What test interval are you using for Domain expiration test items?

I would recommend to decrease test interval for domain exiration tests.
E.g. start tes one a week or even once a month.
zacherynuk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for the swift reply!

Yes indeed.

Gosh, 1 week or 1 month... yeah I suppose I see no harm in that in the big picture.

I have been using 23 hours .... We're only talking perhaps 3-6 domains MAX using the same whois lookup.... 1 lookup every 6 hours is hardly a DOS!

But I'll pause the tests for a week or two and retry - if they work I'll change schedule to 1 month.

It's a bit like TreeBeard doing IT.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: