KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Preventing mulitple mails/sms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbolover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Preventing mulitple mails/sms Reply with quote

I check the even log of my exchange server for an entry of specific error on the information store and then I want an e-mail/sms.

Problem is, the error appears multiple times (10-20) within a few minutes or sometimes within a few hours.

I have this check every 30 minutes. If I use "check status" -> "after 2 consecutive bad" I won't work because of the timing issue - I might check every 1 minute and use this condition of "2 consecutive..."

I just want an e-mail the very first time the error appear and then I don't want any more e-mail, even if the error condition stays. I have a mail2sms gateway and had 45 sms this morning about this fragmentation because I sent the e-mail after "1 consecutive...". Any ideas for this?

More precise:
The event apperar 01:23 and it reports "bad", I get an e-mail or 2 sms (size restriction). Half an hour later it recheck and sees that there is no no entry, I get another e-mail/2 SMS.
The next same error apperar 02:23, reports "bad" again with another e-mail and 2 SMS. 02:53 it reports good again - doesn't mean the error is gone but that there is no new entry. 03:23 I get a new event entry of my error with another set of mail and sms.
If I increase the time to check to over 1h I could control that better. But I want a message immediately after this error appears the first time but only once. I know, I am complicated
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question is - how HostMonitor should recognize 2 different situations:
- new error message relates to the old error
- new error message indicates new error
?

May be application (that records error messages) records some "recovery" message as well?

Regards
Alex
turbolover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your point. Maybe this could solve it:

(X) Send only Y message within Z minutes/hours
or
(X) don't send more that Y withing Z minutes/hours
or
(X) only 1 message per day allowed

It's like "you left the door open". After 5h it's still open so I don't need more messages of the "open door".

The Exchange server produces no other error and because it's the event log it just fills up with all kind of errors, warning, and information throughout the day. The "memory defragmentation error" that I encouter pops up, all exchange services are working fine, but after 5 or 6h of "fragmentation status" it simply stops delivering mails to Outlook/OWA but there is no other error, all services running, no additional error, nothing. That's the problem.
rasc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty late to reply, huh?
But you could just "set okay status manually". I guess that option came later that this tread was 'closed'

@Alex: You might want to reply threads if their topic is 'fixed' (treated) by an enhancement you made.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

H'm, this can be useful (a little bit) but re-read 3,000 threads and about 60,000 e-mails is hard task
This forum is just top of the iceberg, most of support done by e-mail.

Regards
Alex
rasc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sympathy, Alex.
But now just imagine the amount of emails without this forum! At least we often first search here...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: