KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ethernet SMS modem support

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdean987

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Ethernet SMS modem support Reply with quote

We've deployed AHM inside a VMWare cluster and now wish to add SMS notification capabilities to our alert profile. This presents a problem since any directly attached SMS modem wouldn't be moved should the AHM server vMotion to another host in the cluster. We're currently using usbAnywhere for instances where similar problems exit but based on past experience with that product we'd prefer a solution that integrated with fewer layers between the AHM server and modem.

In evaluating the market it seems that MutliTech is one of the more mature providers of ethernet based SMS based solutions. Of particular note are their current iSMS series of devices: http://www.multitech.com/en_US/PRODUCTS/Families/MultiModemiSMS/

In searching the fourms here I've found where other AHM admins have used software port directors as an intermediary between AHM and ethernet SMS modems from MultiTech however MultiTech no longer updates their redirector product and instead has moved to an API solution for communications. Is there any chance that this API might be supportable by AHM? Here's a link their API area: http://www.multitech.net/developer/products/isms/

It's possible that MultiTech would be able to provide API support if I were to become a customer if that help.

As always, thanks for the great product that just keeps getting better as time goes by!

Jeff
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can see, MultiModemŽ iSMS supports interface, based on HTTP GET request.
HostMonitor supports HTTP Request action, that can be used to send HTTP request to any HTTP service.
According to iSMS Send API, Request field of "HTTP Request action" may look like the following:
GET http://192.168.2.1:81/sendmsg?user=user1&passwd=puser1&cat=1&to="7637175845"&text=Testname=%TestName%Reply=%Reply% HTTP/1.0
Host: 192.168.2.1

Please check the manual or visit our web site for more information at:
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#actHTTP
jdean987

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried to setup the action as specified below but nothing happens on the test bed we're using - packet captures actually show a 404 error returned from the remote iSMS server. However if I copy and paste the URL as shown in the HostMonitor test window (between GET and HTTP/1.0) directly into Internet Explorer it succeeds - I can also use the URL request test method to successfully pass the url.

Here's how I have the action configured:
Under Action parameters:

Host <hidden-IP> Port 81

Request:

Code:
GET http://<hidden-IP>:81/sendmsg?user=<hidden>&passwd=<hidden>&cat=1&to="<hidden>"&text=HostMon HTTP/1.0
Host: <hidden-IP>

Any thoughts?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remove :81 from the URL

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, iSMS server may require additional HTTP headers.
You may check what exactly headers are sent by Explorer/URL request test using packet capture and use them in HTTP request action.
E.g.
Host <hidden-IP> Port 81
Request:
Code:
GET /sendmsg?user=<hidden>&passwd=<hidden>&cat=1&to="<hidden>"&text=HostMon HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0)
Host: <hidden-IP>:81
Cache-Control: no-cache
jdean987

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thanks for the reply - that worked perfectly! This will be a great way for us to use an ethernet SMS modem and have it be a shared resource for various systems.

Thanks again,

Jeff
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome

Regards
Alex
jdean987

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Related topic... Reply with quote

I have everything up and running using the API and the %MacroExpansion% built in to AHM but I've run into a bit of an issue. In the SMS messages I'm sending I'd like to include %TaskComment% to roll up all comment lines that contain additional standardized information (remediation instructions, contacts, etc). The problem is that %TaskComment% (and other macro variables) includes CRLF (%0D%0A) between lines and CR causes a second identical SMS to be sent.

Is there any way to edit %TaskComment% so it only includes LF(%0A)?
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may use variables like %CommentLine1%, %CommentLine2%, ...
They represent each comment line and doesn't contain line separators.
jdean987

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup.

I understand that I can pick each line individually but then I would need to update all of my action profiles every time a new line gets added by admins that I didn't specify originally. However this method wouldn't work with %DnsResults% as there is no substitute that would list every line, just the first.

Should I make this a feature request for someplace like Miscellaneous Options to specify via tick boxes if you want CR or LF or both for all macro variables that are documented as using CRLF in their responses:

%MasterTests%
%TaskComment%
%DnsResults%
%FolderComment%

~Jeff
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be we can implement this option in next version... Just do not expect any news/manual regarding this option, that will be just patch for you. You may send e-mail to us after release, we will tell you how to enable the option.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: