KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Program unexpectedly quits
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lhk69

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am using 3.12. (Unregistered – for now)

We are considering purchasing the 600 test version. For some reason, the program just quits form time to time. No error, no nothing – just disappears.

I am a little concerned about this. Is this because it is not registered? Will this activity continue after regristration? Is this possibly a bug?

Program running on win2k.

Anybody else experience this??

KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unregistered version can stop monitoring and display registration dialog but should not disappear. I am afraid this is some bug in the program.
Could you please send your settings (HML file, INI file, all LST files) to our address line1@ks-soft.net for testing?

Anybody else experience this??

Regards
Alex
gdvl

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, I have this problem too, and I use a registered version.
Alex is informed about it.
Can you take a look at the event/application log or drwtsn32.log .
In my case, there is an access violation error when HM quits.
This is the message I found in event/application:

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/15/2002 @ 17:35:29.471 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00000000 (<nosymbols>)

I disabled my virus scanner (NAV) but the problem reoccured.
I'll stop reporting for a while. Maybe this problem was started when I started to use reporting.
I use a 200 tests.
How many tests do you use ?

Regards,
Gdvl
rob_nich

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, version 3.12 beta quits on me too. It occurs about the time the Not-Registered window would appear. I have only 17 test currently running under Win2k pro.
I had the same version running on another computer on which this didn't happen. When I installed it on the current computer it quits out-right with no errors, or generates the following Dr Watson errors:
The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/12/2002 @ 01:40:55.096 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77E17F54 (wvsprintfA)
Data:
The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/07/2002 @ 04:46:04.503 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77FCB76D (RtlFreeHeap)

I've been looking for a program like this one. It seems to offer what I need. I'm going to start out with a 50-test license once over this hump.
lhk69

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will gig into the logs next time it crashes and post it here (If any)

I currently have 377 tests.
rob_nich

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I have installed Advanced Hostmon as a service with administrator log in. It ran longer this time but quit by itself again after about an hour with the following error.

The Advanced Host Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

It came back up just fine, but it would be great to figure out whats causing it to stop.

I already saved all my unique test files, uninstalled it, then reinstalled and hooked it back up to my files. Maybe it's one of my log files that messed up. I'll try creating new ones for another test period.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I analyzed your posts, tested the program (I do this every day), checked our mail base, my old notes, msdn.microsoft.com, and groups.google.com. What we have:
- error appears at different addresses (usually not in HostMonitor's address space), it means we don't know address of real error. Its bad
- on systems where HostMonitor crashes it crashes from time to time, not only once
- at the same time I cannot reproduce this error on our testing systems, even if I use exactly the same settings, tests, and the same OS;

According to this I think problem is not concerned to HostMonitor's settings, its concerned to group HostMonitor/3rd party software/hardware.
So, I try to find some information about analogous problems and I found some interesting information:

- http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q196394
This article about Microsoft Exchange Server but looks very similar to problem with HostMonitor.
Quote:
SYMPTOMS
The Microsoft Exchange Server information store generates a 'Dr. Watson' pop-up error message and the application log will show an 'Access Violation' error (c0000005) generated by the information store that correlates to the Dr. Watson message. After restarting the information store or rebooting the server, everything will appear to run normally. This event may occur at random, and may take days or weeks to happen again (or may not happen again).

CAUSE
One possible cause is a known issue in the Intel Pentium Pro 200 series of CPU errata #59. This series of CPU can generate a Machine Check Exception in the Instruction Fetch Unit because of its behavior when handling Exchange Store.exe instructions. The only way to confirm the error messages were caused by this issue is by debugging the User.dmp file generated during a Dr.Watson event. Please contact your Microsoft Exchange Support Representative for further instructions or troubleshooting steps.

WORKAROUND
To work around this problem, contact your hardware vendor and request an updated BIOS. Most manufacturers have a BIOS update that circumvents this problem.

- Also I found many messages on groups.google.com where described c0000005 error that start generating by different programs after installation of NU (Norton Utilities) or NAV (Norton Antivirus). Error appears even if NU and NAV is not started.

Unfortunately I don't know what is real reason for error in HostMonitor's case (I can't reproduce it). And we need more statistical information:
- Windows version (SP)
- Internet Explorer version
- Do you have installed NU
- Do you have installed NAV
- CPU
- BIOS
- HostMonitor version
- what HostMonitor tests do you use:
- ping
- tcp
- url request
- etc
Please send this information to our address line1@ks-soft.net

Regards
Alex
rob_nich

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on this.
I removed Windows 2K Pro, and re-formatted and installed Windows XP Pro. Hostmon has been running for over 12 hrs without stopping on its own.
This tends to eliminate the computer hardware which is not Pentium Pro anyway. It is just a Pentium 233 Micronics Twister.
Next I'll re-format and install Windows 2K Server and see what happens. It is important the Hostmon run on this particular computer set aside specifically for remote monitoring.

Thanks for looking into this issue.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I have information about 4 systems where HostMonitor crashes. These systems have different processors, BIOS, OS, but all systems have istalled Norton Antivirus (or had installed NAV before).
I am checking log files, its similar but in all cases exception generates not in HostMonitor's address space. So, its hard to say where exactly is problem.

Regards
Alex
rob_nich

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, now running under Windows 2K Server on same computer. Hostmon running fine for over 12 hrs and has not stopped.
Yes, Norton AntiVirus not yet installed!!! Nor was it installed when running under XP Pro earlier.
But install Norton is a must for this computer.
Thanks for your help on this.
Roozbeh

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Have it under Win2K server running for over a week. no such a problem
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in 99.5% cases HostMonitor works without problems. In many cases HostMonitor works together with NAV without problem. But on some systems with installed NAV it crashes

Regards
Alex
rob_nich

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Hostmon began to stop on its own after 24 hrs running non-stop. Except for me having to clear the Un-Registered window.
Still no AntiVirus of any kind ever installed.

Here's are the DrWatson errors:

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/29/2002 @ 15:39:26.037 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77E17F54 (wvsprintfA)

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 05/30/2002 @ 02:09:14.744 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 77E17F54 (wvsprintfA)

This was with Hostmon 3.14 Beta running as originally installed with no configuration changes. Not as a service. Win 2K Server running with all latest updates from Windows Update site. The only non-Windows software installed is pcAnywhere 10.5. That's it.

Sure hope we can figure this out.

If you want me to try something else, let me know and I'll do it.

Thanks,

rob_nich

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun I disabled pcAnywhere from waiting for a connection. Hostmon has not stopped since - 9hrs straight now. pcAnywhere is still installed, just not waiting for a connection.

So, it may not be Norton AntiVirus but something related to it such as, Live Update or a DLL that comes with both Antivirus and pcAnywhere.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be.. Lets wait a little more, 9 hours is not too much

Regards
Alex
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KS-Soft Forum Index -> HostMonitor All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: