KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CPU Usage Check Issue - RMA: 301 Code #5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: CPU Usage Check Issue - RMA: 301 Code #5 Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have 1 server that just refuses to run the CPU check - all other checks are fine, WMI, shell scripts, SNMP GETs .. been thorugh all the troubleshooitng tips on the forums with no luck, restarted the box.. tried multiple admin accounts all of which work for RDP etc. with no joy.

Is there any more verbose log of the testing process so I can try and narrow this down? I have around 700 other servers where this works fine so it's a bit annoying - other servers on the same site Active RMA also work fine.
Any other ideas gratefully accepted before I just go write a WMI script to replace the check

Problem server is W2K3 SP2 patched up to date, running on a Proliant DL380 G2
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows error code #5 means "acess is denied".
Have you specified correct user account (user with admin rights) for this server using Connection Manager or "Connect as" test property?

Regards
Alex
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test is run from an active RMA, and the service is running in the context of an admin user.

I've tried 'Connect As' with a couple of other accounts, also no luck
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The test is run from an active RMA, and the service is running in the context of an admin user

Local admin? or Domain admin? We recommend to use Local Admin.

Regards
Alex
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a domain account, that has local admin privilege on the tested server. Same account is working for other servers connected to the same RMA, running the same test. So the active RMA service is runnning as this user, which is defined to the problem server in its local Administrators group.

We don't use domain admins for anything other than domain administration, and even then rarely
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try to setup Performance Counter test to check CPU Usage? It uses simalar Windows API and DLLs... Does it work?

Regards
Alex

Last edited by KS-Soft on Fri May 25, 2012 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, will do. I'll run it in the same user context too. Watch this space.
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well that isn't a massive sample, but it would appear to be working OK .. though I can't be 100% sure it's running in the right context - I changed the 'RunAs' properties of the counter log to the account, but going back into it still shows as 'Default' .. maybe this is a display issue, but I can't see any process running as the user either.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, we do not understand what exactly you have done

If you setup Performance Counter test to check CPU usage and it works, then CPU Usage test should be able to work as well. Please check if you have specified correct target host, username, password (you should provide account information using Connection Manager or "Connect as" test property").
May be you created account for target host (using HostMonitor's Connection Manager) but forgot to mark "CPU Usage" test method in the list?

Regards
Alex
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try and be clearer.

All tests are run from an Active RMA agent (we run across EMEA and have 1 or 2 RMAs per site).

The Active RMA runs as a domain account, which has local admin privilege on all servers it monitors.

The CPU check runs fine on all other servers. All other checks run fine on the problem server.

I ran a local Performance Counter sample, using the option to 'Run As' the domain account we monitor, to prove it was OK (I can login as this user, and only admins have RDP access to this server - so I think the account is not a problem).

I tried changing the test to use 'Connect AS' as well just in case, but no luck...

I'm really looking for some clues as to where to start looking, as it's clearly a problem just with this server.

HTH
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All other checks run fine on the problem server.
I ran a local Performance Counter sample, using the option to 'Run As' the domain account we monitor, to prove it was OK

Could you please confirm the following:
You have setup Performance counter test (performed by the same RMA). This Performance counter test returns "Ok" status, while CPU Usage test returns "Unknown" Reply: RMA: 301 Code #5
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's it precisely.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still confused.
If "ran a local Performance Counter sample" means "setup Performance Counter test to check CPU Usage", then what means "using the option to 'Run As' the domain account we monitor"?
HostMonitor does not have "run as" option in Test Properties dialog.

Could you please send screen shots of CPU Usage and Performance Counter test settings to support@ks-soft.net?
Plus test results and Connection Monitor settings.

Regards
Alex
jivetolkein

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure will do

If "ran a local Performance Counter sample" means "setup Performance Counter test to check CPU Usage", then what means "using the option to 'Run As' the domain account we monitor"?
There is an option to do the local performance counters as a different user .. I'll put it in the screen shot.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there is no such option.
It looks like you are using some 3rd party software while we are talking about HostMonitor and RMA. Please setup Performance Counter TEST using HostMonitor and RMA.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: