KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Alert Parameter

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Can you add 'Macro Variables' as a condition to raise alerts ? Here is an example.

I have an SNMP test monitoring a WAN link. It collects "Input bps" and "Output bps". I want an Alert raised with 'Average' response reaches a particular value. Example : If the line speed is 128 Kbps, an alert should be raised if 'Average' response time touches 80 Kbps. This would be a clear indication of Congestion and will greatly help Network Admins.

Thanks,
Arun.
Arun V

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I was logged in, Author for this has come as 'Anonymous' !!

Arun.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I have an SNMP test monitoring a WAN link. It collects "Input bps" and "Output bps". I want an Alert raised with 'Average' response reaches a particular value. Example : If the line speed is 128 Kbps, an alert should be raised if 'Average' response time touches 80 Kbps. This would be a clear indication of Congestion and will greatly help Network Admins.

But why will change value of the macro variable?

>Even though I was logged in, Author for this has come as 'Anonymous' !!

There was some modifucations on server, a couple of days we had different problems. But now everything is Ok.. I hope

Regards
Alex
Arun V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'macro variable'. I am just interested in raising an alert when the 'Average reply' value crosses a certain limit. As mentioned above, I am collecting a WAN link throughput (bits/second) using the 'SNMP' test method. The utilization keeps fluctuating. But an increasing 'Average' value gives an indication of congestion. This is what I like to be notified as an alert.

Thanks,
Arun.
Arun V

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

I managed to get the desired result. I defined a new 'ODBC Query' test, defined a query to get 'AvReply' for the particular SNMP test from 'DBF-FULL' and configured 'Alert' when value is '>' some value. It works fine.

Still, if you can give a better, simpler solution, would highly appreciate it. Maybe, sometime in the future.

Thanks,
Arun.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now I see. Alert threshold is constant but you want to compare it with Average Reply instead of Reply. Truth to say I don't see solution that better than yours. May be some scripting language for alert profiles in future....

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: