KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tests going to unknown status

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ehughes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Tests going to unknown status Reply with quote

Two to three times a week 80% of my HM tests go into an unknown status and I have to reboot the server to get the tests to respond again.

I am running HM 8.86 I have tried it on Server 2003 and Server 2008 and on three seperate servers. I have disabled McAfee antivirus and still have the issue. This started happening in the last few months, prior to that I had no issues at all running on the same servers.

The reply on all of the Unknown tests is - Error: the wait operation timed out

Any ideas?

Thanks..
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of tests show this error? Tests like Service, Process, CPU Usage, WMI, Dominant Process?
Do you use ODBC logging or ODBC test method? If yes, what ODBC driver do you use?
Do you have installed some other non-standard software like personal firewall, content monitoring software, non stanard winsock components?

Could you check resource usage for each process when this problem appears again? You may use standard Windows Task Manager to check Handles, GDI and USER objects.
What is the total resource usage on the system?
How many handles/threads/GDI objects used by hostmon.exe process?

Quote:
I have disabled McAfee antivirus and still have the issue

Yes, McAfee othen leads to problems.
Have you completely disabled it?

Regards
Alex
ehughes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It about 80 % of a few hundred tests
Services, processes, ODBC tests.

Using the standard sql ODBC drives that come with the OS.

Mcafee, is not installed on the server at all any more, and HM is the only thing loaded on the server, no firewall software, nothing else. Just OS and HM.

Currently running Windows 2008 Standard SP2, but I have tried this on three different servers using different OS versions.

I will check the resource usage next time I have an issue, the problem can take a few days to happen for only a few hours after reboot.

As far as normal system resources when everything is working normally, CPU averages at 1% and ram averages at 600mb used out of 4gb.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly ODBC driver do you use? Are you using only MS SQL ODBC driver? What exactly version? Could you try to disable all ODBC related tests and ODBC logging?
MS SQL ODBC drivers usually work fine but there are bugs in some versions. While Oracle ODBC drivers have bugs almost in every version and some of these bugs are critical, they can lead to memory leakage, handles leakage, access violation errors, etc

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: