KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Process test fail if name contains dot (process.name.1.exe)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dakirk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Process test fail if name contains dot (process.name.1.exe) Reply with quote

See link for processname. http://wsustot.ndsdrift.no/DAK/ScrShots/ProcessNameWithDots.jpg
See link for testproperties in HM. http://wsustot.ndsdrift.no/DAK/ScrShots/ProcessNameTestProperties.jpg

Processtest fails if processname contains dots. Tests without dots (example lsass.exe) works fine.

Because of Firewall restrictions, I can not perform test directly from HM server (for testing error only in agent).

I beleave this must be a bug in HM.

Possible to get a fix?

PS!
I've tried with "process.name.exe" and 'process.name', same result.
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: Process test fail if name contains dot (process.name.1.exe) Reply with quote

In some cases Windows truncates process names that exceed 15 characters.
You may check process name on system, where process is started, using Windows Task Manager.
E.g. on Windows XP SP3, process name, started from network drive, will be truncated to 15 characters.
So, file Infodoc.ServiceHost.WindowsService.exe will be truncated to Infodoc.Service
You may use Test properties dialog to retrieve list of processes with actual (truncated) names.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you report some problem, please always tell us what exactly software do you use.
- Windows?
- Service Pack?
- HostMonitor version?

For example we just tested HostMonitor version 8.86 using processes like Infodoc.ServiceHost.WindowsService and other with similar names on Windows XP SP3, Windows 7x64 and we cannot reproduce the problem. HostMonitor works fine.
(unless you start process from network drive on Windows XP, but its not HostMonitor fault. Windows cuts name but you see the same truncated name when you select process to monitor using Test Properties dialog or Windows Task Manager)

Regards
Alex
dakirk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
When you report some problem, please always tell us what exactly software do you use.
- Windows?
- Service Pack?
- HostMonitor version?

For example we just tested HostMonitor version 8.86 using processes like Infodoc.ServiceHost.WindowsService and other with similar names on Windows XP SP3, Windows 7x64 and we cannot reproduce the problem. HostMonitor works fine.
(unless you start process from network drive on Windows XP, but its not HostMonitor fault. Windows cuts name but you see the same truncated name when you select process to monitor using Test Properties dialog or Windows Task Manager)

Regards
Alex

I am quite embarrassed right now. I've messed up the ip addresses and the test has been performed on a server witch the service do not reside (and of course it fails).
After changing to correct ip address, the test runs fine. Sorry for bothering you with false alarm..

If you're still interested I have a drawing of my environment: http://wsustot.ndsdrift.no/DAK/ScrShots/Infrastucture.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: