KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Alert for automatic services not started
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and if the instance becomes unavailable for some other reason will it change to BAD or stay as OK?

If WMI class becomes unavailable or target system become unavailable, HostMonitor will set Unknown status and show error message in Reply field.
You may easily check this... Just type wrong class name or wrong hostname and you will see how HostMonitor behaves.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also is there a way to view the result so we can see quickly what services are down without logging on to the remote server?

HostMonitor cannot display all rows retrieved by WMI query.

Regards
Alex
xcentric

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently needed to implement monitoring all running services in Server 2008 R2.

There is an issue with the "Software Protection Service" in Server 2008 R2 that is addressed here.
http://www.quantumofgeek.com/2010/04/software-protection-service-a-monitoring-headache/

Essentially the service must be set Automatic to function properly. However the state of the service most of the time is stopped. Periodically the service is started and then stopped when needed. Pretty annoying.

A slight modification the th WQL query below removes the service from the query but the service will not be monitored.

Code:
SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service WHERE Started=0 AND StartMode='Auto' AND Name <> "sppsvc"

Regards
rasc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
Is there a way (maybe with WMI?) to monitor if all services set to automatic are started? That would be handy when not needing to monitor every service individually.

Sure. Such example listed in the manual.
===================
The query: SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service WHERE Started=0 AND StartMode='Auto' shows all services which have not started and have the start mode configured to "Automatic".
===================
Set "Alert if row count is > than 0" option.

Regards
Alex

That's a great tip, I was just searching for this. But how would I start these failed services? %ServiceName% won't work, will it?

Thanks, rasc
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's a great tip, I was just searching for this.

BTW: Its listed in the manual

Quote:
But how would I start these failed services? %ServiceName% won't work, will it?

No, it will not work. You should start services manually or using some script...

Regards
Alex
rasc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
Quote:
That's a great tip, I was just searching for this.

BTW: Its listed in the manual

Quote:
But how would I start these failed services? %ServiceName% won't work, will it?

No, it will not work. You should start services manually or using some script...

Regards
Alex

Well, I guessed so. But how would I do it? Or would you add it to the 'whish list', please? Because it again takes me to define each and every service of any surveilled computer individually.
See http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=28147#28147

Thank you, rasc
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Because it again takes me to define each and every service of any surveilled computer individually

Not necessarily. I think you may create VB or PowerShell script that will restart every "nonstarted" service

On the other hand... I don't know what exactly is situation in your environment but I think its not normal when different services cannot start. I think HostMonitor should check for such problems (because problem may appear "suddenly" after some software installation or upgrade) but each of such problem should be investigated and corrected manually.
If its not possible to correct problem with some specific service, then you may setup test that will check and restart this specific service.
Just IMHO

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: