KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

problems with eventlog check tests not working

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgovaerts

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: problems with eventlog check tests not working Reply with quote

some times we find an eventlog check test that isn't working. The event is triggered in the eventlog, but kshost says that everything is ok. kshost is running as a service. If we stop the service, run the application, than kshost is retrieving the events from the eventlog. After this we run kshost as a service again and everything is fine again. I've seen this with other kind of tests also. Anyone got an idea, because this behaviour is VERY dangerous!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kshost? Do you mean Advanced Host Monitor? What version of the software do you use?
Windows version? Service Pack?

>kshost says that everything is ok

What exactly is test status at this time? Ok? Unknown?
Have you specified admin account on Service page in the Options dialog (HostMonitor Options dialog)?

>I've seen this with other kind of tests also

What exactly kind of tests?

Regards
Alex
dgovaerts

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Advanced Host Monitor is the product.
We are using Version 7.10 on windows 2003 SP2

the test (check eventlog) is saying that everything is ok

We are using a service user with full admin rights on all the servers that it needs to check.

I have also seen this behaviour with url tests.

I have seen this behaviour on a global scale that none of the tests were working. I had to stop the application and restart it to start running tests.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7.10 is very old version, we do not support it anymore.
However it should work fine, e.g. URL test cannot report "Host is alive" status when server does not respond. Unless you are using some proxy server that does not process "no cash" flags in HTTP header correctly. But in such case restart of HostMonitor will not help

Are you sure HostMonitor performs various tests (e.g. Ping, TCP, URL, Service, Process, CPU Usage) and returns "Host is alive" status while target server does not repsond? I think this is impossible. Probably HostMonitor does not perform tests at all because it stopped/paused monitoring for some reason? Its pretty easy to check, just select some tests and press space bar. HostMonitor should perform test and change test status or increment Recurrences counter if test status remains the same.
Also you may check log files and Windows Event Log (Application log). Any messages or errors there?

Also, If you are using version 7.10 then I assume you are using our software for last 3-4 years, right? And all this time our software worked just fine, right?. So, question is what you have done right before this problem appeared?
May be you have moved HostMontor from one system to another and forgot to register HostMonitor on new system? or forgot to uninstall HostMonitor on old system?
Could you please send your registration name and/or order number to support@ks-soft.net?

Regards
Alex
dgovaerts

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sure it didn't find the errorevent in the eventvwr of a server it should be picking up. It only picked it up AFTER I restarted the advanced host monitor application. We have seen this because a collegue was monitoring via another tool the events of that server more closely.
We will plan to upgrade a soon as possible because there are no other solutions available.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please read my previous answer?
Could you check HostMonitor and system logs for errors, check if HostMonitor is registered, check if monitoring is not stopped/paused?

===============
Probably HostMonitor does not perform tests at all because it stopped/paused monitoring for some reason? Its pretty easy to check, just select some tests and press space bar. HostMonitor should perform test and change test status or increment Recurrences counter if test status remains the same.
Also you may check log files and Windows Event Log (Application log). Any messages or errors there?

If you are using version 7.10 then I assume you are using our software for last 3-4 years, right? And all this time our software worked just fine, right?. So, question is what you have done right before this problem appeared?
May be you have moved HostMontor from one system to another and forgot to register HostMonitor on new system? or forgot to uninstall HostMonitor on old system?
Could you please send your registration name and/or order number to support@ks-soft.net?
===============

Regards
Alex
dgovaerts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: reopen this problem Reply with quote

we are now on the latest version of AHM and have noticed the same problem as above. Is the text that is searched in the eventlog case sensitive?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the text that is searched in the eventlog case sensitive?

Yes

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please read my previous posts and provide some answers?
Could you check HostMonitor system logs for errors, check if HostMonitor is registered, check if monitoring is not stopped/paused?

Regards
Alex
dgovaerts

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new and previous version are/were registered. There are no errors regarding that problem in the log
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked if monitoring is started (when HostMonitor does not detect failures)?

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: