KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Separate Download for Windows RMA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
meppyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's upgrade time again and again I am fumbling to get this right. It's just so cumbersome in my view.

Quote:
1) I assume you already have HostMonitor running. So press F1 button to open "Help" window and click "RMA" link.

Pressing F1 in HM gives an Error:

Windows API error
Error description not available
Quote:
2) you may start rma_cfg utility, it will show RMA version.

Not sure why I would want to run the config utility on the HM machine that shouldn't have the RMA installed but ok, do that and it says version 4.05... is that the latest? If not then it obviously didn't get upgraded properly. Do I have to select the Windows RMA on the HM machine when I do the install/upgrade even if I don't want to install it? A bit counter-intuitive. Perhaps some help information in the installer would be good (will add that to my wishlist in the other post).
Quote:
3) RMA shows its version as well

Not clear on what you mean here, what RMA? The rma-active.exe file on the HM server? Or do I need to unzip the installer package?

I just unzipped the installer and found that the version is 4.08 so I obviously need to do this each time and replace the copy on the server so that I can upgrade and send to new servers.
Quote:
If you have Enterprise license, you should use Enterprise installation mode.

So I should be doing an Enterprise Install not a custom install? I just think this can all be simpler and clearer, so that I don't waste so much time making sure I get it right each time. If all I need to do is select RMA on the HM server install even though I am not installing the RMA then great, I will do that.

I just rechecked the manual and it does mention it (on page 408!), but I am sure that I will forge this again, so just looking for a way to streamline this so it relies less on me finding the right bits in the manual to read each time. I also read on page 437 that it says RMA will not be installed, but everything else will... but I don't want RCC installed for example.

I guess I will need to make it a habit to create a custom RMA installation everytime a new version is released. I need to write my own README file to follow for upgrades!
meppyman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KS-Soft wrote:
If you need to install RMA on an array of systems, then the easiest way is to:
1) Install it on one system using installation program (see the instructions in previous paragraph)
2) Configure an agent (setup timeout, password, list of enabled tests, enable or disable remote management, etc)
3) Then simply copy preconfigured agent to all systems. You need to copy just 3 files: rma_cfg.exe, rma.ini, rma.exe (if you need Passive RMA) or rma_active.exe (if you need Active RMA)

Except it's a little more involved than that, especially for remote Windows 2008 servers you have to copy the files to somewhere like the desktop first then create the folders in either the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folder before copying them and responding to the security prompts.

Then you have to create the service account and make it a member of administrators. Then you have to make sure it gets the log on as a service right otherwise RMA CFG will fail to start the service. Finally you have to create a new agent in RMA manager. I guess my main reason for saying all this is so that I can find this when I go to do it next time!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pressing F1 in HM gives an Error:
Windows API error
Error description not available

Probably this is caused by Microsoft security patch. You may modify registry to fix the the problem.
Please check the following article: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2847

Quote:
Not sure why I would want to run the config utility on the HM machine that shouldn't have the RMA installed but ok, do that and it says version 4.05... is that the latest? If not then it obviously didn't get upgraded properly. Do I have to select the Windows RMA on the HM machine when I do the install/upgrade even if I don't want to install it? A bit counter-intuitive. Perhaps some help information in the installer would be good (will add that to my wishlist in the other post).
Not clear on what you mean here, what RMA? The rma-active.exe file on the HM server? Or do I need to unzip the installer package?
I just unzipped the installer and found that the version is 4.08 so I obviously need to do this each time and replace the copy on the server so that I can upgrade and send to new servers.

Not sure I understand the problem. Do you want to check version of the software (RMA) without installing it?
Then you may visit our web site.
Also you may see what components were changed and what's new in new version. Just visit our web site at http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/news.htm
HostMonitor "update check" option shows similar information but web site provides more details.

Quote:
So I should be doing an Enterprise Install not a custom install?

If you have Enterprise license then yes.
If you have Professional license, use Professional mode.
Custom mode useful for customers that have some non-standard license, e.g. Standard license plus RCC.
Also Custom mode can be useful when you want to separate components of the software, e.g. you want to install HostMonitor on one system, RMA Manager on another system and Web Service on 3rd system.

Quote:
I just rechecked the manual and it does mention it (on page 408!), but I am sure that I will forge this again, so just looking for a way to streamline this so it relies less on me finding the right bits in the manual to read each time.

Actually installation program shows such information when you click on [?] button located beside installation options.
Regarding manual: I am afraid there is mistake in the manual - Enterprise mode installs all components including RMA.
Installation program shows correct info.

Quote:
but I don't want RCC installed for example.

If you want to install all components, choose Enterprise mode. Or choose Custom mode and select all components.
If you want to install some components, choose Custom mode.
What is the problem?

BTW: If you are using RCC, its bad idea to update HostMonitor and keep old RCC.
Please use all components from the same package. If you have Enterprise license, then please choose Enterprise installation mode.

Regards
Alex
meppyman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Probably this is caused by Microsoft security patch. You may modify registry to fix the the problem.
Please check the following article: http://www.ks-soft.net/cgi-bin/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2847

I don't have 1.x key on that server and adding the HHRestrictions key and the settings to the 2.0 key did not fix the problem.
Quote:
Not sure I understand the problem. Do you want to check version of the software (RMA) without installing it?

This will be resolved by the change that I suggested in another thread, thanks.
Quote:

If you want to install all components, choose Enterprise mode. Or choose Custom mode and select all components.

You said we should use Enterprise install not custom upgrade. But as you say I don't want everything installed on the server. Why would I want the RMA and RCC installed on the monitoring server? RMA goes on the remote client servers and the RCC goes on my desktop PC.

But if I don't install the RMA on the HM server then it seems I will need to manually extract it to update the remote RMA servers.

If I install it on the server does it actually install anything or just extract it ready for install? That would be ok as then I can just not install the service and push it out to client servers only.[/quote]
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You said we should use Enterprise install not custom upgrade. But as you say I don't want everything installed on the server. Why would I want the RMA and RCC installed on the monitoring server? RMA goes on the remote client servers and the RCC goes on my desktop PC

If you want to install some specific components, use Custom installation mode.

Quote:
I don't have 1.x key on that server and adding the HHRestrictions key and the settings to the 2.0 key did not fix the problem.

Does HostMonitor shows Help when you click menu Help?

Quote:
But if I don't install the RMA on the HM server then it seems I will need to manually extract it to update the remote RMA servers

Manually extract? Why? There is installation software, just tell it you want to install RMA only (using Custom installation mode).

Quote:
That would be ok as then I can just not install the service and push it out to client servers only

If we are talking about RMA, then yes, you may simply copy new version over old one.

Regards
Alex
meppyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like we are going around in circles

Help doesn't work on the HM server it just gives that error I detailed above.

I will stick to a custom install, as I don't want to install RCC obviously and I also don't want the telnet server but I will tick the Windows RMA from now on but not run the RMA CFG program.

My issue was that it when running the install I figured "no I don't want the RMA installed on the server", but if I don't then I have no way of then updating the RMA on the remotely monitored servers.

It was just a bit confusing. Maybe you could have two options:

Install Windows RMA
or
Extract RMA for updating your remote servers using RMA Manager.

Or just have a sticky or FAQ or manual paragraph That explains that you need to select to install the RMA on the HM server so that you can push it out via RMA Manager (or maybe even better if someone selects to install the RMA Manager only, extract the RMAs also as they are obviously going to need them)

I am just a big fan of making software intuitive so you don't have to read as many manuals, etc.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just do not understand the problem
You have Enterprise license, right? I think its pretty intuitive to start installation program and choose Enterprise installation mode then.
What changes we should made to make this more intuitive?

If you want to save 3-4 MB of disk space on your server and do not install some components (RCC, Telnet Service), then its intuitive again to use Custom installation mode. Am I wrong?

May be the problem appears because if you choose Custom installation mode then "RMA" component is not selected by default? Well, we can easily change this.
Or may be you need a warning message when Custom mode is selected and RMA Manager component marked for installation but you are trying to unmark RMA component? I think you mean this when say "or maybe even better if someone selects to install the RMA Manager only, extract the RMAs also as they are obviously going to need them".

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ragarding help related problem: we cannot reproduce it. We just retested hostMonitor on all systems from Windows 2000 to Windows 7. Additional data in HHRestrictions registry key helps to fix the problem on our systems.
H'm.. could you try some other options as described at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896054

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Wish list All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: