KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

User Defined Variables - Export, Copy or Print?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: User Defined Variables - Export, Copy or Print? Reply with quote

Alex,

I searched for this topic but came up with nothing so...

We are beginning to make very extensive use of user defined variables - to define things like who should be emailed, the physical location of the device being monitored (facility + room at facility), cognizant mgr, phone numbers for contacts, urgency, etc, etc.

I would like to be able to quickly create a text file containing all udv_ name/value pairs so that I can easily make it available to others for review and as a reference for test developers.

I could not see a way to do this - but I don't need anything fancy. If I could "Select All" while in the User Defined Variables dialog box and copy to the clip board, that would be sufficient.

Is there some alternative way to do this today?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can add "Copy all to clipboard" popup menu item.
Do you also need Paste option for list of variables or you plan to use HMScript with SetUserVariable command?
Also you probably need to remove several (many) selected variables at once?

Regards
Alex
timn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first priority would be a simple "Copy All To Clipboard" in a pop-up. This would copy all udvs to clipboard in plain text as name,value pairs (one per line):

udv_loc_tx_dfw,TX - Dallas/Fort Worth
udv_loc_tx_hou,TX - Houston
udv_loc_ok_okc,OK - Oklahoma City
udv_loc_mn_msp,MN - Minneapolis/St. Paul
udv_loc_rm_105_mdf,Building 105 - MDF
udv_loc_rm_105_idf1,Building 105 - IDF1
udv_loc_rm_105_idf2,Building 105 - IDF2
udv_loc_rm_105_idf3,Building 105 - IDF3

(maybe a standard CSV (w/text delimiter) would be better format since you would need this for any import as well (to distinguish between seperator and content of the value)

i.e.

"udv_email_dfw_facilities", "facilities@dfw.company.com, dfw_branch_mgr@dfw.company.com"

Yes. It would be great if I could also edit the list of UDVs ("in bulk") as well. However, this feature could be a "Phase II" (after "Copy To Clipboard")

Any standard format that would allow you to quickly parse input would work - I only suggest CSV as one possibility.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is: www.ks-soft.net/download/hm869.zip
There are new popup menu items that allow you to copy "selected rows" or "all rows" and switch between text formats (CSV or "variable = value" format).
Also you may remove more than one selected row (CTRL+DEL)

Please install official release 8.68 before using this update.

Regards
Alex
timn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding Alex!

I replaced the original two files with the two new files you provided (Of course, I renamed the original files first - in case anything went wrong). Everything went smooth.

This is exactly what I needed. I've just sent the extracted list of UDVs off to the people who need to know.

You just saved me a significant amount of time - and this feature will continue to save us time in the future. Thank you so much!

One last question... User Defined Variables (UDVs) are such a useful feature of Advanced Host Monitor - I'd like to encourage even more use of them. But what is the upper limit on the number of UDVs I can define?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One last question... User Defined Variables (UDVs) are such a useful feature of Advanced Host Monitor - I'd like to encourage even more use of them. But what is the upper limit on the number of UDVs I can define?

Theoretical limit 2,147,483,647, we never tried this but I think GUI (User Defined Variables dialog) will work slowly when you setup just 5,000-10,000 items.

Regards
Alex
timn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently, we have 120 UDVs and I envision no more than 1,000 UDVs any time in the next year or two so I think we will be fine with current UDV dialog. And if we can eventually import a full UDV list from text, some occasional slowness there is no big deal.

Thank you very much!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is updated version at www.ks-soft.net/download/hm869b.zip
It allows you to copy and paste entire UDV list

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: