Problem with URL request method and manual Timeout

When you post information about some problem, please include the following details: - OS version (e.g. Windows 2000 Professional SP3); HostMonitor version; problem description.
mp1

Problem with URL request method and manual Timeout

Post by mp1 »

Hi,

We have some problems with the URL request method, when we set the timeout manually to f.e. 10 sec.

We then get a "no answer" although the website is reachable, when we use the default Windows time-outs, than we have no problems - by the way: What are the default windows timeouts?

A similar problem we have with the telnet connections tests to TCP 80.

Do you have any idea?

We are using Windows 2003 SP2, HM 8.58

Thanks in advance

Martin
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

May be your web site does not respond within 10 sec?
Can you provide URL for testing?
What are the default windows timeouts?
Its not easy to find such information regarding wininet (it is used for URL tests). Microsoft keeps secrets :)
Should be some registry key... E.g. TCP/IP setting located under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
May be the same settings are used for wininet functions

Regards
Alex
mp1

Post by mp1 »

Hi Alex,
May be your web site does not respond within 10 sec?
Can you provide URL for testing?
As I wrote, we don't have any problems, when we use the default windows timeout, we had only a strange problem, that the test was hanging by the status checking for several minutes, although the webserver was down, so we didn't get an alert?
Therefore I tried to set the timeout to f.e. 10 sec.

I will send you the URL for testing by mail.

Best regards,

Martin
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

I am confused.
In 1st post you said "although the website is reachable", now you are saying "although the webserver was down".
So its was down or it was reachable?

If server was reachable, default timeout could work because default timeout is over 10 sec, its about 60 or 300 sec.
So I do not see any problem here. And this is definitely is not our bug.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

Post by KS-Soft »

PS
We tested URL. Looks like your web server provides web page within 18-20 sec. That's why HostMonitor sets "No answer" status when you use shorter timeout (10 sec).
Everything works fine

Regards
Alex