KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How to test Cable & DSL ISP uptime

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfroach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: How to test Cable & DSL ISP uptime Reply with quote

I have a small SOHO with a XC-DPG502 Twin WAN (cable & DSL) router with fall over capability. I'd like to monitor my ISP availability for cable vrs DSL.

I've reviewed the info in the forum and I can't figure out something.
1. How do I configure Host Monitor to test for this?
2. Specifically, I'd like to know when one of my ISP's goes down & up, which one (cable or DSL). I'd like to obtain the following info for each ISP: % time down, minutes down, Alive ratio, status, etc.
Tks, Steveo
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XC-DPG502.. This one http://www.xincom.com/products/502/features.php?

As I see it support SNMP protocol so probably you may use SNMP Get test method to check interface status
http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#tests.htm#chkSNMP

On the other hand if DSL modem works fine while connection to ISP is dropped, may be router will not notice such problem? I don't know because we do not have such device.
Is your router connected to 2 different service providers (ISP) and it has 2 different external IP addresses? Then you may use Ping or Trace test methods to check what channel is active..

Regards
Alex
sfroach

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Test for which ISP is active Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one.
1. I have both cable modem & DSL modem connected to the router.
2. I will look at the SNMP Get test method info to see if I can figure out how to test for router external interface status.
3. The router switches between cable & DSL when ever the router's health check for that ISP fails. I usually have the router configured so cable is the primary and DSL is the backup. So DSL only gets enabled when cable ISP fails. With that configuration, the router switches back to cable as soon as it is back up.
4. The router has 2 external MAC addresses. So I think it must have 2 external IP addresses. I'll check. I will look into using Ping/Trace Tests to determine when one of the external IP addresses are not active.
Thanks,
Steveo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: