KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

HostMon as a service

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hpoonis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: HostMon as a service Reply with quote

I had noticed that even after having the applicaton installed as a service for over 5 DAYS the monitoring was not...monitoring. My servers had only been up one day not 5. This morning I stopped the service and just had the app minimised and voila! after another day I am 2 days up.

Now...were you aware that this was a problem? After all, why install the app as a service and even though it appears to be up and running it is actually not?
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think you found some bug, please tell us what exactly software do you use (exact version), Windows, Service Pack.
Are you using registered version of the software or evaluation copy?
Are you workin with HostMonitor GUI directly or you are using RCC to manage HostMonitor installed on remote system?

Could you please explain why do you think its not monitoring? Have you checked some logs, reports? HostMonitor does not start actions?

Quote:
After all, why install the app as a service and even though it appears to be up and running it is actually not?

If you configure everything properly, service works just fine.

Regards
Alex
hpoonis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server 2008

The reason I said it was not monitoring was that the software recorded our systems being up for only one day when the software had been running for over 5 days. As soon as I manually started the APP the server up time had moved on.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please answer my questions?
- What exactly software/version do you use?
- Are you using registered version of the software or evaluation copy?
- Are you working with HostMonitor GUI directly or you are using RCC to manage HostMonitor installed on remote system?

Quote:
The reason I said it was not monitoring was that the software recorded our systems being up for only one day when the software had been running for over 5 days. As soon as I manually started the APP the server up time had moved on.

You have explained nothing
What exactly means "server up time"? If you are talking about internal Windows counters then it has nothing to do with our software.
If you are talking about some report created by HostMonitor then please explain what exactly do you mean. May be you are talking about "Alive time" or "Total time" fields displayed by some test item? How exactly do you check this field? Using HostMonitor GUI? RCC GUI? HTML, Text, DBF or some other reports?

Regards
Alex
hpoonis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the latest version of HostMon and it is LICENSED.

I had the app installed as a service and used RCC to connect to it. NOW I have the app running on the monitoring server and either RDP to the server or use RCC to the server but NOW either way it is doing what I expected it to. When installed asa service no monitoring seems to be happening...as though the app is NOT really running.

You have monitors for ping tests...I use those on a 1min schedule to monitor the availability of our critical systems. So...server UPTIME, the time the servers have been up. This is to provide a monthly % of availability for measuring and reporting.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You have monitors for ping tests...I use those on a 1min schedule to monitor the availability of our critical systems. So...server UPTIME, the time the servers have been up.

Could you please be more specific? Our software does not show "Uptime" or "server up" fields. There are no such fields (unless you have renamed standard fields)
It may show "Total time", "Alive time", "Alive %" fields.

So you have checked some report (HTML, Text, DBF?) created by HostMonitor and "Alive time" field of the test displayed "1 day" instead of "5 days"? Do I understand you correctly?
When this report was updated? Probably HostMonitor could not update report for some reason? In such case it should record error message into system log.
or perhaps you are looking at "Alive time" field using application GUI?

1) I would recommend to check system log file (specified on System Log page in the Options dialog). Do you see any errors? Do you see messages like "Monitoring stopped"?
2) Could you please check NT Event Log (application log)? Any error messages recorded by HostMonitor?
3) If you are looking at "Alive time" field of the test and it shows "1 day", this does not mean HostMonitor checked your server for 1 day. You should look at "Total time" field of the test item. Also, statistical counters can be resetted by operator or by the schedule.

I think its pretty easy to verify that service is working and monitoring (or not). Simply close HostMonitor application, start service and use RCC to check how it works.

Quote:
I have the latest version of HostMon and it is LICENSED

Does "latest version" means version 8.14 or 8.24 Beta?
Could you please send your registration name or order number to support@ks-soft.net?

Regards
Alex
hpoonis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez! I KNOW YOUR SOFTWARE DOESN'T HAVE "SERVER UPTIME" WHICH WAS WHY I METIONED THE PING TEST...PING! PING! PING! TO MEASURE THE AVAILABILITY OF A SYSTEM...THE AMOUNT OF TIME A SYSTEM IS AVAILABLE...FORGET "UPTIME" CALL IT WHAT THE HELL YOU LIKE BUT THE POINT IS THAT ANY TESTS ARE NOT WORKING...FORGET WHICH TESTS JUST SAY ANY TESTS. NONE ARE WORKING WHEN THE SOFTWARE IS INSTALLED AS A SERVICE. THE SOFTWARE APPEARS TO BE NON-FUNCTIONAL. INOPERABLE. NOT USEFUL. LACKING OPERATION.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand that you are using Ping test.
What I do not understand and you do not want to explain - why do you think its not working. You said its not working. I am asking you 4 times what exactly is not working and I do not see clear answer from you

Could you please answer my question? If you do not want answer my questions and you do not want to explain what exactly is the problem, could you just start service, start RCC and check what is going on in real time?

If its hard for you to speak English, could you send to us some screen shots that would explain what exactly report/gui/test item field/log told you that monitoring is not started. You may send screen shots to support@ks-soft.net

Regards
Alex
hpoonis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is why I KNOW it was not working as a service:

When I was evaluating the product I had it installed on my workstation and over the course of a week the "alive" time ofthe systems I had configured was 7days or so. This is a 1min interval pinging each server.

Over the course of 5 days installed as a service the "alive" time had not increased in any significant way.

So...to summarise (again): a continually running app (minimised) works fine...pings every minute and I get a gradual increase in "alive" time. As a service the software does NOT increment the timers EXCEPT when the RCC is connected to the software.

Does this make any sense??
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Over the course of 5 days installed as a service the "alive" time had not increased in any significant way.

Great, finally I know you have checked "Alive time" counter. I was asking about this several times.
Also, I have asked many times - where exactly do you see this counter? HostMonitor GUI? RCC GUI? Database? Report? E.g. if you are checking some report file that could not be updated for some reason (e.g. you store reports on mapped network drive so service cannot access it), this does not mean that monitoring is stopped.

So, could you please read my answers (and additional questions) posted above and answer to ALL questions?
========================
1) I would recommend to check system log file (specified on System Log page in the Options dialog). Do you see any errors? Do you see messages like "Monitoring stopped"?
2) Could you please check NT Event Log (application log)? Any error messages recorded by HostMonitor?
3) If you are looking at "Alive time" field of the test and it shows "1 day", this does not mean HostMonitor checked your server for 1 day. You should look at "Total time" field of the test item. Also, statistical counters can be resetted by operator or by the schedule.
4) Could you please send your registration name or order number to support@ks-soft.net?
========================
May be HostMonitor was not able to monitor servers so it did not increment "alive time" counter. Instead it could increament "Dead time" counter or "Unknown time" counter.
That's why I asked you to check "Total time" counter.

Quote:
a service the software does NOT increment the timers EXCEPT when the RCC is connected to the software. Does this make any sense??

Not really. It does not make any sense to me because RCC does not effect monitoring at all. It just shows you what is going on. So, if service does not monitor your network then RCC connection will not fix this issue.
BTW: if you do not use "Save tests and stats at midnight" option and you set "When service is being stopped discard all changes" option, then you may lose statistics (including "Alive time" counter") when you stop service.

So, there are a lot of ways to see "wrong" Alive time counter. If you do not answer to any of my questions, I cannot tell you what exactly is wrong with your configuration.

Regards
Alex
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[POST REMOVED]
Please do not post your registration codes on the forum. If somebody will use your codes for many installations, codes will be locked and you will not be able to use software.

Regards
Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Bug reports All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: