KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Pause/disable alerts on the schedule for all the tests?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ixtab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Pause/disable alerts on the schedule for all the tests? Reply with quote

Hi,

I need to pause/disable alerts on all our tests during the "Windows Update" timeframe so we don't get all the alerts that this event causes (alert storm from machines, eventlogs, switches via snmp due to reboots etc.) during a specific time (2 hours every week).

I know I can setup a montoring schedule (profile) and assign it to each test, but since we already have 1000s of tests I would like to avoid the need to go into each test and update it.

Is there a way to setup a master HostMonitor disable/pause schedule that is not per-test?

Also, I want to make sure that any eventlog events created during these 2 hours will not be sent once the monitoring resumes to normal.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Ix.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about "Pause alerting till" option available thru menu Monitoring -> Pause?

Quote:
Also, I want to make sure that any eventlog events created during these 2 hours will not be sent once the monitoring resumes to normal.

If you pause alerts for time = "Windows Update" timeframe + test interval of these NT Event Log tests, this should help.
On the other hand, what if some critical event will be recorded during this time? You will miss it.

Regards
Alex
ixtab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, thanks for the rapid answer. under Monitoring --> Pause I don't see a place to have it as a recurring pause (say Every Wednesday night between 2am to 4pm)? what am I missing? and if there's no such option via this menu/setting is there another way?

I understand we will lose critical alerts that are unrelated to the "windows update" events, a risk we're willing to take (at least for now).

Thanks!
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
between 2am to 4pm

14 hours for update? may be 2am and 4am?

So, this should be done on regular basis without human interaction?
Then you may use built-in Scheduler (Options dialog) and "scheduled" action that will start HM Script with single command PauseAlerts 120

Scheduler settings: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#options.htm#SchedPage
HM Script action: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#actScript

Regards
Alex
ixtab

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Typo... I meant 2am to 4am (2 hours per week).

Thanks, I will give the scheduler a try!
ixtab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, when I type "PauseAlerts 180" into the script dialog box it auto-convert it to this: "C:\Program Files\HostMonitor8\PauseAlerts 180"
Is that the right way to do it?

Thanks.
peter.egri.citrix

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey,

Quote:
I know I can setup a montoring schedule (profile) and assign it to each test, but since we already have 1000s of tests I would like to avoid the need to go into each test and update it.

if i do it, i create new timetable wit that restriction,
then i mark all the tests and set them the timetable
(mark all , rightclick , edit , set timetable).
so you can set the same timetable to all the tests on one place.

we got also trillions of tests but sometimes is neccessary to mark just couple of them and then set something to all marked tests.

thing is that you can change timetable of all tests just by marking them all, rightclick on them and click edit.
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Alex, when I type "PauseAlerts 180" into the script dialog box it auto-convert it to this: "C:\Program Files\HostMonitor8\PauseAlerts 180"

Script dialog box? When you setup HM Script action you should select the file or type path to the file. Script is a file.
Please check the manual: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#actions.htm#actScript

Regards
Alex
ixtab

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex, I tried to stick the "PauseAlerts 180" right into the dialog box (assuming it will take a one-line-command), but I got it, I will just create a script file with this one line in it instead and browse for it. No problem.

Thanks!

peter.egri.citrix, thanks for the suggestion, I considered doing just that, and it would have been easy if all the tests we run have the same schedule (then a simple select-all and edit would have done the trick), but we have quite a few tests which use different schedules, so it is going to be harder to make mass-changes without risking undesired changes to some schedules.
Alex's idea will work perfectly as we do plan to pause the entire monitoring structure for 2-3 hours.

Thanks again,
Ix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: