KS-Soft. Network Management Solutions
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister    ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Error: unable to start script from RCC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgobat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Error: unable to start script from RCC Reply with quote

Hello all
I have a perl script which work fine has i am connected on my HM server
When i use RCC from my workstation , for the same test i recieve this result : Error: unable to start script

my script is on d:\script\ directory on my server.

I can imagine that RCC try to execute from the D: partition of my workstation... and doesn't find my script... neither i don't have installed activeperl on my workstation ...

My questions :
1) what is the best practice working with scripts and RCC? (having either perl and same drive with my scripts in local) ?

2) Even if i see thi error in rcc, is the test running properly in production mode (silently HM as service)

Thank you for your feedback

Best Regards

Philippe
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand...
RCC does not perform tests at all, it just shows test results. Test can be performed by HostMonitor or RMA.
So I am not sure where exactly do you see this error
May be you are trying to create script for Shell Script test method and you are using "Lets try" debugging tool provided by Script Manager?

Also, please always tell us what version of the software do you use.

Regards
Alex
pgobat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Alex

i use v 7.78

I see in RCC reply field : " error: unable to start script"

when i log in rtc on my server
stopping service
launching Hm
everything is ok

(of course in let's try it doesn't work and it is ok with that )

Regards
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the script works when HostMonitor is started in application mode, but does not work when HostMonitor is started in service mode, right?
What account do you use to start HostMonitor service? We recommend to start in under admins account. Anyway, I would suggest you to grant the following privileges to the user, HostMonitor is running under:
1. Log on as service
2. Replace a process level token
3. Take ownership of files or other objects
Foregoing privileges can be granted using "Local Security Policy" applet (Start -> Programs -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Local Security Policy" applet -> "Local Policies" -> "User Rights Assignment").

Regards,
Max
pgobat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Max
I have to say , i don't know if it does not run in service mode but if the erro message said that you are right !!!

my user account is a domain admin

I have change the following because :
my service was running under my account... i put it again as local system with interaction with the deskto

Now from rcc on my workstation the scripts are running well !!!
thank you...

But...

All my wmi tests show access denied...
KS-Soft

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see in RCC reply field : " error: unable to start script"
when i log in rtc on my server
stopping service
launching Hm
everything is ok

Does "RCC reply field" mean "Reply field of the test item"?
Then this problem has nothing to do with RCC. There is some permission issue. Do you use the same account for HostMonitor in service mode and HostMonitor started as application?

Quote:
my service was running under my account... i put it again as local system with interaction with the deskto

Sure, it does not work. Its pretty bad idea to use local system account that does not have any rights to use network functions. Many other tests will not work as well.
Please use account with admin rights and follow instructions published by Max in previous answer.

Regards
Alex
pgobat

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Alex ??

I just follow your documentation

the service is running under local account ( windows side)
In HM i configured an admin account in option startup service
logon as....

So i think it is right no ?

but my wmi test said "access denied...")
KS-Soft Europe

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgobat wrote:
Wait a bit. Do you mean, you've changed user credentials using standard Windows "Services" applet? Ok, now leave it as it is: Log on as "Local system account" with marked "Allow service to interact with desktop" option. Now you may use HostMonitor menu "Options" -> "Service" tab in order to specify certain user credentials (Domain Admin is Ok). Quote from the manual: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#other.htm#Service
===========================
Note #1: When HostMonitor starts as a service, it uses the system account (as all interactive services). But this account may not have all the necessary permissions, so some tests will not work correctly (UNC test, "disk free space" test for shared drives, "CPU Usage" test for remote machines, etc). If you need these tests, you will need to assign a special user account on the Service page in the Options dialog. In this case HostMonitor will impersonate the security context of the user. Do not change the account using the system utility "Services". If you do so, HostMonitor may be unable to interact with the desktop.
===========================

pgobat wrote:
Now from rcc on my workstation the scripts are running well !!!
Glad to hear that.

pgobat wrote:
Please, specify admin account into "Options" -> "Service" tab. Everything should go smoothly. Also you may use "Connection Manager" to specify account for different remote servers: http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/mframe.htm#profiles.htm#conmgr

Regards,
Max
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KS-Soft Forum Index -> Configuration, Maintenance, Troubleshooting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: